Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

D60 Diff Cover Beef!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Waxer, Apr 12, 2003.

1. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

Spent part of the day doing this to my 60 Diff Cover before installing it.

All 1/4" plate, bent with a shop press and MIG welded onto the diff cover.

Pic of the beginnings...
    [​IMG]

Pic of everything welded up and ready for some fine grinding work.
    [​IMG]

Pic of everything ground, and ready for some fine paint work.
    [​IMG]

Pic of the painted cover.
    [​IMG]

Another
    [​IMG]

And a pic of it on the truck...
    [​IMG]

More pics can be seen HERE

2. txbluethunder

txbluethunder 1/2 ton status

looks good! now i want to see it after a trail thrashing /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

K10ANDYKHAMNIC 1/2 ton status

U GOT PAINT ALL OVER THE DAMM SMUGGLERS SPECIAL JIG !! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

4. Waxer

[ QUOTE ]
    U GOT PAINT ALL OVER THE DAMM SMUGGLERS SPECIAL JIG !! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Bwahahahahahahahhahaahahah Yeah I sure did. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

5. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Nice work.

Gotta tip for you though (and others). You can lay a 3" wide piece of strap stock (I used 5/16) across the shoulders of a 1.75 x 5.5 180* die in a bender and make a curved piece that fits the D60 cover ring crown perfectly. I made a full arch top to bottom like that. One piece was cut about 0.5" too short so I made another. I now use that "scrap" piece to bend narrow strap like the 2" wide piece, to fit a C14FF, without fawking up my die (by falling in). When welded in, they make a perfect "ramp" to the outer lip of my shaved covers.

6. Waxer

Nice tip. I'd be weary of messing up my dies, as they aren't cheap. I actually had a 10' piece of 3" wide 1/4" plate I used for the center piece. Then used my shop press to bend them as needed. Took a little longer but I was learning how to use my shop press as a brake at the same time.

In all I'm glad I went this route cause I learned a trick with the shop press. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

7. BadDog

So share the trick! /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

I been thinking about a 12 ton HF press, but just don't see the value vs. lost floor space in my 1 car garage/shop. I already have the tube bender, bar/strap bender (small diameter stuff), and a bead/flange roller plus all the basics. I think I'm going to build a sheet metal brake too. All these things mount to my center post where the bender mounts along with a heavy steel table made from discarded frame sections welded together (use it like an anvil and a welding table too).

8. BadDog

Oops, forgot to mention, on using the bender to make smooth bends in strap stock, just turn the follower over and use the flat side on the strap. I ran the strap across the belt sander first to remove all the scale and make it nice and smooth too...

9. Waxer

All I did was use a drill press vice, placed that on the shop press, then adjusted the width of the vice to whatever I was bending, then put a bolt on the spot to bend (laying on its side), then pressed down til I got the angle I needed. Worked like a charm.

10. BadDog

Sorry to take your post of topic a bit, but, I gotta ask. Do you find that the press is worth the space it takes up? Would you recommend it as an addition to my shop which is already past the point of being able to walk around without feeling like your on an obstacle course. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif I have a C-Clamp press that I use for thinks like u-joints. And I've built several one-off presses using bolts or threaded rod to remove bearings and such as needed. Even built a jig some time back to use a bottle jack under the front axle of my truggy as a sort of press. I really don't feel the loss of not having one, never used the one I had at the body shop much, but that was a different situation too, it also tended to get covered up and buried because of infrequent use which made me even less likely to use it if there was an alternative. Also, what size to you have and do you feel it's adequate or over the top? Just looking for your opinion and experience…

<edit>
    BTW, the jig under my axle was being used like your using the press, sort of a break for heavy strap and plate... /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

11. Waxer

no worries about the post stuff..

Yeah I feel it was worth it. I have a pic to show you how much space it takes up. It's really fairly small. I got the 12 ton version from HF.

Here's a pic...

[​IMG]

its not really taking up that much room I don't think. Then again I have a little more space to work with than you I guess. So far I've used it to press out/in the lug bolts on my 60 hubs, and now for the plate bending.

12. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

purdy racy... but orange? /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif I think it woulda looked tight clear-coated or black. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

j

13. Waxer

No not orange, but Chevy Orange /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

14. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

lol. everything under my rig is...umm... chevy black. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

j

15. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

Just curious, what's with the bar welded in across the front of the frame horns there? Just stiffening things up a bit or do you have something mounted to it?

16. BadDog

It keeps the frame horns from twisting when the axle is twisted up. The front cross member is not up to the task, especially when there is no bumper...

17. Waxer

yah, what Russ said. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

It's welded to the frame exactly where the front spring eyes are. It really stiffened things up and gave me some stability while crossed up.