Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

D60 Drive flanges

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jac6695, Sep 29, 2003.

1. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

Anybody have the Spicer part number for the 35 Spline drive flanges?

2. K5DRAGER

K5DRAGER 1/2 ton status

This is what I have: warn - 39346

3. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

Thanks, but I have that number. I actually want the Spicer part.

4. K5DRAGER

K5DRAGER 1/2 ton status

Maybe I'm confused but as far as I know warn is they only major manufacturer who makes them. So I don't know of any spicer number.

5. blk87K5

blk87K5 1/2 ton status

www.polyperformance.com also sells them. They are supposedly stronger and lighter than the Warn flanges. Plus they have provisions for removing them from the hub body, and they come with cool skull and cross bones caps.

6. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

The spicers were only available on 78-79 K30s with optional 203 full time case. Hard to find... I gave up and bought Warns, but that was before PolyPerf came out with theirs. I would probably go with Poly if I bought now...

7. denver75k5

denver75k5 1/2 ton status

Got this off the pirate board:

Drive Flange 35 Internal Warn 39346 full float drive flange kit (pair)
    35 Internal Spicer 620861 single drive slug, not the dust cover, spacer, snap ring, or spring ##
    35 Internal Poly Performance Picture 1
    Picture 2
    4340 induction hardened and the caps will be anodized black with a little logo on them....They will go for about 175 bucks for the pair.
    35 External Spicer 26049x Unfortunately Long discontinued ^^
    30 Internal Warn 39340
    30 Internal Spicer 37994
    30 External Spicer

Heres the link too: LINKY
    Hope this helps

8. K5DRAGER

K5DRAGER 1/2 ton status

The 78 & 79 k30's only had 30 spline right? And I agree the Polyperf ones look pretty nice. But my warn only cost me 205.00 and have had no problems, compared to 290.00 for the poly ones. Any one have the Poly ones? Just curious if there's any major differences.

9. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

I've never heard of Spicer making a 35 spline flange, only 30 spline.
    I don't think you can get the Spicer 30 spline flanges new anymore either. But don't quote me on that.

The only way I've seeen 35 spline flanges is by taking the 30 spliners and havine them broached to 35 spline. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

10. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

DUDE! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif Thanks for the link. That could have saved me about 5 phone calls today. Exactly what I needed. I'm trying to put together 35 spline parts as cheap as possible. The Warn drives seem to be too expensive to me. Do you have 35 spline stubs yet? I can't remember.

11. BadDog

I agree with Wess. Only 30 spline Spicers exist as far as I know. The 35 spline stubs come off of a relatively rare D70 front combo and to my knowledge there were never any slugs available. However, the Spicers can be broached to 35 spline and I like them better than the Warns, though there is probably no real difference.

12. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Are hubs really that weak that I should worry about swapping to flanges in front before I install my '60? Seems like everyone that has a '60 around here is going straight for the 35 spline stuff and flanges.

13. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

I think they install a little easier. Other than that not much different. I'll check tomorrow and find out if the spicer part is still available. Again, I am going for the cheapest available part, given equal quality.

14. BadDog

Yeah, sorry, when I said "no real difference" I meant "no real strength difference". I wanted the Spicers for price and simplicity, plus I like the chrome cap... goes with the rest of my bling-bling at the mall.

15. K5DRAGER

K5DRAGER 1/2 ton status

Just for price shopping the original spicer 30 spline drive flanges go for an average of 75.00 and last time I heard to have then broached cost about another 75.00 Then you have to figure in shipping to and from when you buy them or have them broached. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Oh yeah, and the dust caps on the original ones suck, they just snap on and you have to use rtv. The other aftermarket ones screw on and use a 0-ring.

16. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Spicer does indeed make a 35 spline drive flange, I have a friend that bought a set from a Dana distributor a year or so ago. I don't know what the application is for sure but since some open knuckle 70's came in equipment (like airport tow motors, etc) I would assume that's what they're for since those vehicles don't usually have locking hbs.

17. denver75k5

denver75k5 1/2 ton status

No problem man, I haven't gone 35 spline yet just because I want to run flanges insead of hubs, and with the front locked fulltime on the street /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif ,, Let me know how you make out on it...

18. blk87K5

blk87K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    But my warn only cost me 205.00 and have had no problems, compared to 290.00 for the poly ones. Any one have the Poly ones? Just curious if there's any major differences.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Poly ones are made form a stronger alloy, forgot what now. They install easier, but the major difference is that they are removed way easier. The warn flanges are basically just a large gear with no holes in it. Hard as hell to get out. The Poly ones have holes in them to make them lighter and easier to remove. Plus the bling of the cap.

19. blk87K5

blk87K5 1/2 ton status

Finally found the thread that had the info about the Poly Performance D60 drive gears in it.

Drive Flange Thread

Or you can go to www.PolyPerformance.com for more info.

BTW, you get what you pay for; axle parts especially. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

20. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

I think you would have been better off just buying the warns a few days ago and spending your time with something else! The ONLY problem with the warn gears is the removal deal and it's not really a problem, there's a ridge on them that you can grab with a pair of pliers. I like the Warn cap better, I'm not that fond of using the cap screws to pull the inner stub seals tight. Any tolerance problems in the hub/bearing/spindle system could really mess with the fit.
    I know Dana had the drive gears at one point but I don't know of any recent production. And if you add a decent cap to a gear you buy separate, you're not going to save any.
    Has anyone ever stripped a drive gear?