Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

D60 DRW and hummer wheels

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by beater74, Apr 10, 2002.

1. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

i hear that if you are running a D60 from a dually you can run hummer wheels and you wont have any streeing issues, is this true? and what about width i'd think that this would make the front really wide. if this is good for the front how about the rear will a 14bff with hummer wheels have the same track width as the front. this sounds really good to me cause $50 for a beadlock sound good to me.

2. fulltopblazer

fulltopblazer 1/2 ton status

Try to send FSJEEP a pm. I sold him a dually D60 and he put Hummer wheels on it under his blazer.

3. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

thanks /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

4. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Please post if you get the info. If I put big tires on I might do this, too.

5. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

There were some hummer wheels on ebay I saw last night, but I think the auction might have ended. They were only at about 250.00 for a set though.

6. K5BLT4FUN

K5BLT4FUN 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I am currently exploring this option as well and have found out that the Hummer wheels has a 7.25" back spacing. The D60 Dually front hub has an approx. WMS to WMS of 76.5". The front will not be an issue, however the rear axle is where the problem lies. The GM 14FF from a 3/4T or 1T truck has a WMS to WMS of approx. 67.5" and the GM 14FF from a 3/4T or 1T van has a WMS to WMS of approx. 70.5". Therefore the rear axle will need a either a 4.5" spacer on each side or a 3" spacer on each side depending on what rear axle you use. The widest commercial spacer I have found is 4", and cost $165.00 each. The 3" spacers cost $150.00 each. I hope this information helps. I am now looking at the cost of having the center moved for a more desirable back spacing.

7. what about using a rear dually axle from a pickup- not the cab-chassie? aren't they like 73 inches? i think there is a guy one Pirate that sells the hummer wheels at a good price. both civilian and military versions

8. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

if yer talking about a dually rear, from what i understand they are all shorter than any SRW 14bolt.

i talked to daniel over at usa6x6.com he said that i could put 2" spacers on the rear to even thing out. he is also the one to get the hummer wheels from for $50 each.

fsjeeper has done this mod but i'm not sure what kinda vehicle he did it to, here's his resopnce to a pm i sent him." The hummer rims great on a dually front Dana 60. I bought some dually extensions for my rear single wheel 1 on rear end.
    I did a lot of research on Hummer rims. Some are better than others. What I ended getting was the latter model 2 piece civilian wheels with the one pice rubber beadlock, runflat. These in everyone's opinion are the best. "

i have thought about this for some time now and i'm still not sold on the hummer wheel thing, i worried about reliability and road manner's, cause down here the trails arn't very close and this trip times range from 1 to 3 hours. and i don't have a tow rig yet. it looks like i'm just gonna machine down my daully hubs.

9. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Yeah, the shorter version 14FF is on the cab-and-chassis models, but the D70, which is wider - like 75" or so, is under the fleet side beds with the fiberglass fenders.

10. K5BLT4FUN

K5BLT4FUN 1/2 ton status Premium Member

thatK30guy is correct , the D70 dually axle has a WMS to WMS of approx. 74.5". The problem with using the Dually D70 is that the hub would stick out way past the tire/wheel combo and become a catch hazard.

11. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

ohhh i see /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

12. FSJeeper

FSJeeper 1/2 ton status

I am running Dana 60 dually hubs in the front, and dually adapters (4") in the rear 1 ton single wheel 14 bolt. Hummer wheels work great with this combination.

I would also like to throw something else in, I did a lot of research on the various types of hummer wheels there are.
    My conclusion was that the late model 2 piece radial civilian wheels with the one piece rubber runflat/beadlock are the best out of all the other types there are. Just my 2 cents.

13. kickinasphalt383

kickinasphalt383 1/2 ton status

how offset are the front wheels then after you have a dually D60 and a 4" dually rear spacer? does the front stick out alot farther than the rear?

14. bigblue

bigblue 1/2 ton status

Do you have any pics?

15. bigjbear

FSJ, how about moving the center of the rim to a normal backspacing for the rear instead of the spacer? 4WOR had something on a place doing this. If you have beadlocks and on-board air you could just carry a spare tire. Right? Or would that be a bad idea? Even with a spacer in the rear this seems like a good low buck way to go 1 ton. Do the Humvee rims fit over the dually front breaks or is grinding required?

16. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

whats a dually spacer?

17. bigjbear

any more input?

18. FSJeeper

FSJeeper 1/2 ton status

Moving the center of the rim would probably be the best solution for running Hummer wheels. I personally like the way they look with the 7.25" backspacing. Plus it was a lot cheaper to buy the dually hubs for the front, and dually adapters in the rear. I bought the dually adapters for $100 used and the dually front hubs for $175 I think.

With the daully hubs and adapters on the Dana 60/14 bolt, it equals out to 3.25" backspacing over SWH setups.

You could just carry a spare tire and mount it on the wheel without even taking the wheel off the truck, but it is so hard and time consuming to mount large tires on these wheels, I have a fully setup spare wheel and tire.

For information, I ended up buying 5 new civilian takeoff rims and runflat/beadlocks from a Hummer dealership for $500 delivered. I could have got the bias tire military rims with the magnesium runflat/beadlock setup for $50 each, I just heard to many things about them versus the late model civy wheels and one piece rubber beadlock/runflat.

19. FSJeeper

FSJeeper 1/2 ton status

A friend of mine is now selling inserts and also modifying hummer wheels to work on normal applications. He can also do these in any bolt pattern and set backspacing to your specs. Price looks good.

http://4wdfactory.com/

20. bigjbear

Cool, thanks for the link.