Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

D60 Dually Front

Discussion in 'Parts & Trucks Wanted' started by skratch, Mar 13, 2004.

1. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

Looks like I may be coming into a bit of money in the next couple of weeks so I decided it's about time to really get going on the Burb.

I'm looking for a D60 Dually front to match my D70HD rear.

Don't really care about the gears since I'm going 5:13.
    But I'd really like it to be an 85 or newer so it has the heavier shafts.

I know this may be a long shot but let me know what you got or know about. The closer to Ohio the better the chances of me getting it. /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

2. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

Sounds like you're doing a dually Burb. Do you have the rear fenders yet? I have a brand new set from Unlimited Produts, model #GM-201R & GM-201/L. They are for the pick ups but they might work for Burbs too. I was going to use them on my Dually, but, that just doesn't look like it's going to happen any time soon! I have a 91 Burb and could try holding them up to see how they fit and if they clear the gas door. They were $150 each plus $60 shipping. I could work you a deal.

Pics. on their site.
    http://www.up22.com/chevytruck.htm#GM-201R/L
    Scroll down.

Let me know.

Thanks,

Eric M.

eric@mannon.com

3. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

I just looked at my Dually and Burb side by side. I'm pretty sure the fender in going to extend past the back door. If you don't have a solution, I think I have a link to a dually kit for a Burb. Although, I'd bet you've already been there!

Thanks,

Eric M.

4. conoverbandit

conoverbandit 1/2 ton status

Post up the link please! I seen one of those things for sale a while back and flipped out, I'd love to build one myself.Thanks

5. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

Actually doing the Hummer rim thing on my rig /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

But thanks for the info.
    I may do a dually 2wd Burb in the future some time, I almost bought a nice (ugly but well built) one this last fall.

6. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

Here you go:

http://www.chromewheel.com/fenders.htm

The company also does the adaptors if you don't want to swap a Dana 70HD rear and Dana 60 front dually axle. I've got some stock dually wheels if any of you are intested.

Eric M.

7. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

I already have the 70 /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif and I may have found the 60 too, not sure yet though.

As soon as the first settlement check gets here I'm ordering rims from John at Stazworks, we've been talking for a few months about the design I want and making it work with the Hummer backspacing. I really wanted the dual beadlocks that's why I'm going that way.

I want to be able to snow wheel and need to be able to air them waaay down for the big heavy rig I have. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    As soon as the first settlement check gets here

[/ QUOTE ]

Who'd you sue, what for and how much did you get??

National Enquier

9. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

I hope if youre using a Dually 60 and 70 that you dont plan on modifying the hummer rims in any way. They work best on those axles as is.

10. conoverbandit

conoverbandit 1/2 ton status

11. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

First, BlueBlazer, you sir are the inspiration for going this route /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    After seeing what you were doing I got thinking and now that I have the funds for the big pieces I'm doing the same thing, just using custom rims with the same backspacing. I think I'm gonna go 16x10 with the 6 3/4" BS to get the stance I want.

Eric,
    I'm not sueing anyone, I got hit at work last June by a kid in a Saturn. He made a left in front of me in my cement mixer and after hitting him, I rolled /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif Oh boy that was fun. The Fire Dept had to /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif me out of the rig.
    This is a small part of the settlement with the first Insurance company. The next one should be much larger /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif Then I'll finish a bunch more on my rig.
    Bunch of pics here Wreck /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

12. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

I see, just wanted to make sure you werent getting work done that you didnt need. You sure you dont want 16.5"? Hummer rims are cheap and there is a much better selection of tires for 16.5 than 16. If your heart is set on 16 than I have heard John at Stazworks is the go to guy.

13. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

I'd like to check out the pictures of that flipped mixer but don't have time to sign up for any more picture services. Was the mixer full when it flipped? We saw a rig go over with a full 9 yds. .... it was like an earthquake when it hit the ground. The sidewalk it landed on was nothing but gravel when they lifted the truck, and by then, all the mud had set up in the back!
    This guy walked away, jobless, since he took a turn too fast. It sounds like you weren't so lucky. What kind of injuries were involved? Are you back on your feet now?

Eric M.

14. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

6 1/2 yds. going about 50 when I hit the car as it crossed my path.

Broke my T1 vertebrea, my left leg, and tore a chunk of my left elbow off.
    I've already had 3-4 surgeries and looks like I'll get another in the next few weeks to repair a torn tendon in my ankle.
    Safe to say I'll never drive a big truck again with the injuries I have.

Here's another link to some photos.

15. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

Geez, what a mess. That cab really got mangled. It looks like the rest of the truck did pretty well. You'd think the cab would be built to hold up a little better in an accident, after all, that's where the driver is. Nice shot of your blood all over the roof ....

Do you think you would've done better if you just hit the guy and didn't swerve causing you to flip? You gotta think that Saturn would've bounced off a big truck and you might have walked away from it all ... of course he would probably be a goner. How did he do? That Saturn doesn't look too good. How the heck do you "accidently" pull out in front of a cement mixer!? You gotta be blind to miss that.

By the way, what kind of truck is that? We have 3 axles here with the hydrolic 4th at the rear for heavy loads. I've never seen one with 2 more axles between the front and rear drive axles. I'm assuming they are only used for heavy loads too?

What are you going to do now for a career since truck driving is out of the question?

Good luck with your next surgery.

Eric M.

Damn I'm nosey ... just tell me to shut up if you want ... that seems to work for everyone else!

16. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

Actually I didn't swerve. I didn't have time to do anything it happened so fast.
    He thought he could beat me through the intesection for some reason or another. The light was turning yellow, and with the weight I had (60,000lb), my speed (45-50), my proximity to the intersection (100yds) and all I was rolling through the light and the kid I guess thought I was stopping. Didn't work that way. He walked away with a couple minor fractures and a bloody nose and bruises. Saturns are built better than I thought.
    The car would have bounced off if it didn't sit so low, and I didn't have the floatation tires on the front, instead I just climbed up over his car like so much rock crawling.
    The trucks we use here in Ohio are usually a lot heavier than in most other states, I guess they allow more weight per axle here or something. But our rigs are Sterlings with KMC K2000 units on the back, 2 forward tags and the bridgmaster in the rear. The bridgmaster gets used when you hit 5 yds or more and then after 6 you start to also drop the tags, one at a time depending on the load. I think around 7-8 yds is when the second tag goes down. They definatly help in the braking department but just not enough for something like what happened to me.
    As for new carrer I'm back in school working on a degree in communications and networking management. Kinda fun and keeps me from getting burned out at work so I can still go and play with my rig at home.