Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

D60 from a Dodge work on my Jimmy?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jekbrown, Nov 16, 2001.

1. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Hey gang...I got a 14bolt on the way for the rear end of my 85 Jimmy...and like everyone else, I am always on the lookout for a D60 for the front. Well, I came upon a guy with a D60 out of a 78 Dodge crewcab. He wants $600 for it. What kinds of issues would I have to address to use this on my '85 Jimmy? I dont run with a anti-sway bar anyway, so thats not a concern....and I know they have a 8 lug pattern, so I'd have to trade my wheels (would be a good thing, having a 14b out back anyway!). What else?

I'm not a mech-guru, so I dunno what kinda of other problems I might run into. I'd want x-over steering at some point...would setting that up on this D60 be any different then doing it with any other D60?

When it says "full time, no lockouts", what does that mean exactly? pros? cons?

Lastly, assuming that it has no major probs, is $600 decent?

Any info would be greatly appreciated, thanks!!

J

See the on-going build up of my '85 Jimmy! http://community.webshots.com/user/jekbrown

2. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

First it will work in you Jimmy, the spring perches are only about 1/2" off so it will work with some prying. Second the x-over will work on the D60. Third the full time means its all time 4 wheel drive. You cant unlock the hubs so dont put a locker in it if you want to drive on the street. Fourth I guess 600 is a good deal. I paid 1100 for my GM D60.

86Jimmy 4"&35"MTRs,87 burb 4"&35"MT,69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

3. CST-30

CST-30 Registered Member

It will bolt right in, there are a few things to be aware of,if you have at least a 4" lift you can use the dodge steering arm by welding it up and retapering it from the opposite side for a chevy rod end, if you have no lift find a chevy steering arm. The dodge will have 1/2" wheel studs and the 14 bolt will have 9/16" studs, all you have to do is buy the 9/16" studs for a chevy d60 and they will press into the dodge wheel hubs with no problem. You are real limited to what kind of lockouts you can use, probably selectro hubs which are a very strong hub anyway.

72 K-5 cst blazer 2 1/2 lift 33" bfg's
    69 custom 30 longstepside 4x4 6" lift 36" directionals
    87 K-5 stock

4. jekbrown

5. CST-30

CST-30 Registered Member

Just by putting the dodge axle in does not mean you will have full time 4 wheel drive, only your axles will be moving, your transfer case will not be sending power to the front, and yes you can add lockouts like I stated but the only ones I know of are selectro's.

72 K-5 cst blazer 2 1/2 lift 33" bfg's
    69 custom 30 longstepside 4x4 6" lift 36" directionals
    87 K-5 stock

6. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Also make sure the gears are the same as the 14ff and the dodge 60 will need the shock mounts changed because they use a straight bar for shock mounts.

See <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Waynes-Toy>Project Mighty Mouse</a> here.
    <font color=blue>Wayne<font color=blue>
    <font color=blue>Happy Trails<font color=blue>

7. jekbrown

Yeah, it has diff gears than my 14b does...right now in my 10 bolts I am running 4.56...the 14 has 4.56 so I can toss it on without upgrading my front 10-bolt (for the moment). I'm gonna pass on the dodge D60 for now. Thanks for the help guys, as always!

J

See the on-going build up of my '85 Jimmy! http://community.webshots.com/user/jekbrown

8. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

On the hub issue, if they are internal spline hubs, like chevy 60 (and 1/2 ton chevy axles), then the Chevy hubs should work. However, if they are the external bolt on style, you are pretty limited in hub selection. Also, there are no 35 spline lockout hubs available for the bolt on style, should you later choose to upgrade the splines. You can get a bolt on drive flange (full time hub) for 35 spline.

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd