Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

D60 gear install questions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by clarkjw24, Apr 4, 2006.

1. clarkjw24

clarkjw24 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Could someone tell me how many pinion shims they had to use with 5.13 gears. I've used all of the new ones plus the old ones and can't seem to get the pinion close enough to the ring gear. The pinion has 3.129 on the button and 188, 188 is also on the ring gear. The old pinion had the +3, .042 in shims. I've done it about 10 different ways now so any help or a big "your stupid" will help.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2006
  2. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

Does your backlash have too big of tolerance, or is your pattern not wanting to straighten out. If you have pics of your pattern post them up. Its possible that you might need different a different carrier, or you were sent the wrong gears. Check the ring gear to make sure someone didnt send you a the wrong gears in a mislabeled box. I am assuming it is a front 60? Not that it really matters.

3. randy88k5

randy88k5 1/2 ton status

These are the shims behind the inner bearing race right? I dont remember having that much at all... Id have to look for my notes, but I think it was in the neighborhood of 0.030. Id double check the new pinion with your old if available. You should be able to see a noticable difference if those numbers are correct. If it is different, check the application, or they might have sent the wrong ones. What brand are you using? What ratio?

4. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

I did mine backwards... well actually wrong... but they are holding up...

I was told to take my old bearings off.. grind the inside so they slide on my new carrier freely... keep putting shims behind them on both sides until it is right..... well I was told that after I already had the bearings pressed on!!!! :doah:

so I just kept on wedging shims on the outside until it felt right....didnt even do a pattern check.....

so far handling my heavy right foot and detroit!!!! :bow:

didnt have the $800 people wanted to put the gears and detroit in!!!!!!

5. clarkjw24

clarkjw24 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Yes I'm talking about the inner race for the large pinion bearing. The one that you have to keep removing the race to add or remove shims. :doah:

I'm pretty sure that I've got the right gears. YG D60 513 tooth count 8-p 41- rg

Yukon 5.13s.

Backlash was good.

Maybe I'm not reading the pattern right. Also maybe it would help if I tighten down the bearing caps?

I'll do it again this afternoon and post a pic of my pattern.

Also how many of you used the preload shims vs. the crush sleeves?

6. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

I guess I got a good deal for front and rear gear install...his normal price is $300 per axle.

7. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

yeah i argued with the guy...

to do the ring and pinion he wanted $500 and to do the detroit he wanted $300.. I was like.. either way the carrier has to come out.. he said.. yeah but I have to setup the bearings... like that is going to take that long :crazy:

8. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Easy.
    Fisrt you need to tighten the caps down.
    Also be sure that you are loading the carrier a little so you can get a good gear pattern. Post up pics

I would start with between .030 and .045 behind that race. If you are not sure where to start you could always call RR&P. They should have a good idea.

$800......:yikes::yikes:..I would have never thought it was that much anywhere.
    I have neer charged really anything for axle work. I think the most I ever made on one set of axles was about $50 in beer:D
    Maybey I should start charging people. hen I could afford to fix my own truck.

9. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

You did the right thing...if he added that money for the detroit over a open carrier, I don't get it. There is no difference with the install. Maybe a little more weight.

10. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

There is a difference....
    The detroit is a little harder to get in and out of the housing, unless you have a spreader

11. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Something is messed up somewhere. I don't think this will help but try taking the ring gear off and turning it 180* from where it is and then try it Assuming that everything is correct and you have that many shims in there you may have something wrong with the housing

12. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Pics...

13. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

definitely tighten down the bearing caps, before you read your pattern you should set the axle up exactly how it will be ran in the truck or you may not get a true reading. Its possible you are reading the pattern incorrectly, I found it confusing at first because of the way the pattern moves when you change pinion depth or backlash. Also, make sure you have some resistance when checking the pattern or it will be hard to read, especially harder to read through pictures.