Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

D60 General Q's

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sandy78, Dec 3, 2006.

1. sandy78

sandy78 Registered Member

I just picked up my D60 SRW front! I'm so excited. I've wanted one since just after I got my Blazer and found this forum. Anyway, do I need anything special to run the steering, or will the standard drag link hook right up. What about tie rods? Same as 1/2 and 3/4 or different? Since the knuckles are currently off the axle, what should I replace? Bushings and springs? Everything looks real good. Can you get just the seals for the kingpins, or do you have to buy bearing kits. If I am going 35 spline later, should I change the axle u-joints now? Like I said, general questions of a D60 newbie. Thanks in advance for any input you can give me.

2. Chaddy

Chaddy 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

If its torn apart then relace the bearings, get a king pin spring and bushing kit, If you have any lift you will need a steering block or crossover. You shouldnt have to mess around with tour tie-rod unless its bent, and in that case NO...1/2-3/4 do not swap to a 60.

Where are you at in utah??

3. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I'd go through and check, pack and or replace wheel bearings as needed. Replaces seals, check out u-joints, etc etc. As for steering the stock draglink will bolt on just like the d44 but IMO now would be the perfect time for crossover steering. I have the ORD crossover but there are many manufactures of kits to run crossover.