Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

D60 gurus

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by SCOOBYDANNN, Feb 11, 2002.

1. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

Ok guys, i got it {smile} open w/ 4.56 gears complete except locking hubs.

I disassembled the kingpin that is also the steering "thing" took it off and now i need to put on the steering block. the studs that were on there had a "fat spot" obviously to keep everything tight. Now I need a longer stud to fit the block-----where can i get these? or can I just get a longer BOLT and be "OK" im gona do crosover fairly soon so it dosn't have to last forever, just not mess anything up.

should i clean up the kingpins (all) and just put new grease, and how do i tell if they are gone?

the "studs" to hold the pass side spring are gone--where can i get these? i figure if i can get the kingpin studs i can get the spring studs at the same plce, right? I think that is it for now, but im sure there will be more.

Sun Desert Offroad <a target="_blank" href=http://4x4.alloffroad.com>4x4.alloffroad.com</a>

83 Chevy, 350, sm465, lincoln locked14ff, (soon to be- spooled dana 60, flatbed,and 39.5" TSL's)

2. MaxCrack

MaxCrack 1/2 ton status

OK, I'll tell you everything I can. I just finished rebuilding mine.

Do you mean you have a lift block to go under the steering arm? If yes, then you should be able to get the studs from the same place you got the block. I got a block from super lift and it came with the longer studs. If you can not get them there, I believe (could be wrong) that Stephen at ORD can make them the right length for you. And as a last resort try Off Road Unlimited or Dynatrac. I say last resort, because everything costs a little more than it needs to from them.

I wouldn't use bolts on the steering arm side because there is a lot of stress and movement right there, and the bolt could work its way out. But the passenger side has (or had in your case) bolts, which leads me to believe that it would be fine for short term. And check them regularly to make sure they are not loose. And, now that I think about it, I did see someone, somewhere, with a home made crossover steering arm held on by bolts. But like I just said, I wouldn't do it if there is any way to use the RIGHT part.

New grease definately would not hurt. New king pins wouldn't hurt either but they are kind of expensive. I think I paid $60 each for them. I also got new king pin bushings, grease seals, and springs when I did mine. But mine needed it. There was a leak and one side was all rusted to hell. And the other king pin was visibly worn down on the side that was towards the wheel.
    Definitely get new grease seals though.

I'm not sure what you mean by king pin studs or spring studs. You can only get the king pins at a GM dealer. I'm not sure about the bushings or the springs, but I was there and knew they would have all that stuff.

<font color=blue>Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.

3. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

the "studs" to hold the pass side spring are gone--where can i get these? i figure if i can get the kingpin studs i can get the spring studs at the same plce, right? I think that is it for now, but im sure there will be more.

<hr></blockquote>

You are referring to the two bolts/studs that hold the spring plate down and secure the springs, right? They are 5/8" 11 bolts, use Grade 8............no way I'd be trusting that to anything but Grade 8. I read earlier today on another post they originally came with studs.............mine came with the spring plates and bolts. Not sure what factory was...........but I've seen more bolts than studs in my limited D60 viewing career [​IMG]. Wes ought to know this one...........

ONE TON</font color=blue> <font color=green>TPI'd</font color=green><font color=red> BEAST<font color=red>

4. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

I "think" my knigpis were good, i saw no signs of anykind of wear, just had nice black grease. i bought the lift block from someone here and it didn't have longer studs, but i will check w/ ORD. i complety understand that there is a lot of stress on the steering and was just checking all the optiopns and i think im gonna get the real stuff. thanks guys.

Sun Desert Offroad <a target="_blank" href=http://4x4.alloffroad.com>4x4.alloffroad.com</a>

83 Chevy, 350, sm465, lincoln locked14ff, (soon to be- spooled dana 60, flatbed,and 39.5" TSL's)

5. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

spring plate studs are much better idea then bolts.
    with studs you get full thread engagement in the cast pumpkin.
    I was just reading a post about someone ripping the threads out of the dif, didnt sound fun.
    for the steering arm/block you have to use studs as the arm requires tapered nuts to locate it, therefore I also guess the 'fat' stud thing is no big deal.
    how big is the block? how long do you need the studs to be?
    Moser sells some 3" long wheel studs that have the correct thread pitch 1/2"-20 PN 8070
    my block/arm was retained by bolts that had been cut and threaded into studs. never had a problem with them.

formerly 77chev
    still a jerk though

6. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Good luck getting the studs for the steering block. I had to get a set for mine and it was a big run around. The studs wound up costing me $25.

See <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Waynes-Toy>Project Mighty Mouse</a> here.
    <font color=blue>Wayne<font color=blue>
    <font color=blue>Happy Trails<font color=blue>