Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

D60 Help

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Batmanjr, Jul 19, 2001.

1. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

What trucks did a D60 front come under. The owner of a junk yard near me doesn't know one from a hole in his head and I would like to use this opurtunity to get one. He has a ton of heavy trucks, I just don't know what trucks to look for. Please help. He has a ton of rear axles he says are junk, but I bought my 14FF for $75 and it works great! There weren't any D60 fronts in the pile, but he said all the good ones are still under the trucks. $300 for any axle, even D60s!!! Thanks for the help. By the way, I don't mind moving perch mounts, so if a D60 Dodge will work, let me know please.

2. bigredblazer

bigredblazer 1/2 ton status

For Chevy applications look for a K30. You don't want to mess around with dualies. I don't know when they started with the D60, mine is from a 79 K30. I think 77 is when they started, but I could be wrong, so if anyone knows please correct me. I think Dodge has run them for a long time, and maybe they are under 3/4 tons, watch out for drum brakes though. Hope this helps a little bit, happy hunting. Jon

Blazin' Trails ORD Style

3. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

They started in 77 through 87 regular cabs and till 91 in crew cabs. You want a single wheel one ton or you will have to change/modify the hubs. If all you can find is dually 60's and it is 300 bucks then buy it. Blazen91 can modify them for you for approx 200 and you would have a 1200 axle for 500 bucks. You dont want a dodge 60 if you can help it. Their hubs are pretty weak.

I thought I was wrong once,
    but I was mistaken

4. michaelm

michaelm 1/2 ton status

dodge hubs are weak?
    they are identical to the chevs, least mine are

5. not4show

not4show 1/2 ton status

I'm going along with 77chev. Why are Dodge Dana 60s hubs weaker? Don't they have 30 spline stub shafts, just like the Chevy Dana 60? Someone please correct me if I'm wrong though.

6. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

I have seen the D60 Dodge hubs before and they appear to look like a 'straight' hub housing. The Chevy D60 has a 'taper' on the housing. The Chevy is thicker at the base of the bearing hub where as the Dodge is the same thickness all the way down. That would be my opinion as to why the Dodge is weaker than the Chevy.

Anybody planning on checking out my homepage, forget it, I am still working on it!!!

7. AZK5

AZK5 1/2 ton status

The 76-91 Dodge 4500 lb Dana 60 hub is only weaker because it's a knob that hangs out of the bearing hub. It's easy to hit it on rocks. The knob bolts onto the end of the bearing hub with 8 hex head bolts. The 92+ Dodge 4500lb front Dana 60's have an internal splined manual hub just like a GM. They all use 30 spline.
    CB

1973 K5, 400TPI,TH350, 203/205, Dana60/Detroit/5.38 front and rear, 4" lift, 38" TSL's on steel wheels