Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

D60 High steer/crossover questions

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by txbartman, Dec 11, 2002.

1. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

Okay, I have my D60, but want to get it setup right before putting it under the rig. I would like to go crossover as it just makes sense. I have been looking at the ORD setup as I am not a fabricator and prefer to support those that I know.

HOWEVER... I am also considering going hi steer while I am redoing everything. Since ORD does not sell a hi-steer setup, I have been looking at the Avalanche system. Anyone use this to a successful degree?

Finally, to throw one more wrench into the gears, I am planning to move the front axle forward 1-1.5". I run Rough Country 4" front springs and want as much clearance on the backside as possible for my 42s. Should I go with zero-rates to move the axle forward? Or can I just drill a new hole in the spring pack? Are either of these options better considering the crossover, hi-steer setup?

Y'all have gotten my rig this far, I need your thoughts now!

2. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I want to move my axle forward also but do not want any more lift in the front. I was thinking aboyut drilling the springs. You can only go so far though. Like an inch or so. The old hole needs to be within the u-bolts and the caps for strength reasons.

3. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

If the old hole clears the spring perches and u-bolt plates, why not run a bolt through it to help secure it? I know the hole itself reduces the strength of the leafs, but keeping the area from flexing apart would have to help as well.

4. Sandman

How far would it have to move for it to clear? Maybe 3 inches? I dont know if keeping a bolt in the hole would be enough but it might. Maybe somebody else here has a more qualified opinion than me.

5. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

Here another way to move your axle forward. You can drill your spring perches and top plates. I moved mine forward an inch by doing this. You may be able to go 1.5" without problems. I have been running it a while like this with no problems.
    Here's a pic:
    [​IMG]

6. Sandman

That would be easier. I plan on tearing mine apart this weekend to put the crossover on. Maybe I'll move the axle at the same time. Has anybody done this to 1.5"?

7. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

I re drilled my springs 1.5" forward and moved it that way. Did trail 5,6,8,9 at Tellico during Dixie Run and no problems to date.
    Keith Deal has the www.rockstomper.com high crossover steering conversion and he likes it.
    Depdog

8. Sandman

Thats good enough for me. I'll go ahead and go 1.5"'s Thanks. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif