Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

D60 High Steer Crossover Steering and Ram Length

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bubbas1ton, Jun 15, 2006.

1. bubbas1ton

bubbas1ton Newbie

I have a D60 on a '84 chevy crewcab that I've installed a high steer crossover steering kit and wish to add hydro assist. From searching forums, the general recommendation for a D60 ram was an 8" throw. Well I found out this must be for a stock position tierod because with high steer the tierod is moved back towards the kingpin pivot point which changes the geometry and now an 8" ram is too much. I have about 4" of lock to lock steering travel. I've been told that if I use a ram that has a longer reach than my steering stops then I'll break things cause the ram will win the tug of war.

I'm wondering why you can't just be careful and stop turning once you feel you've hit the steering stops and the system starts squeeling.

I already have the 8" ram and need recommendations before I mess things up.

2. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

My friend has high steer & hydro assist on a GM D60 under his 4-Runner, and he's running a 6" ram because of the stroke being shorter due to the tie rod being closer to the pivot point on the knuckles.

Tie rods at stock location need 8" of stroke on the ram.

Hope that helps :)

3. FWP

FWP CRS

You can (been doing that for years), but you better not let it "squeel" it's more of a feel thing. You're right about the travel also. Add stops inside the ram, pay attention when turning, or get a custom ram. Them's the options:D

4. 1976Blazer76

1976Blazer76 1/2 ton status

From lock right to lock left, my high steer arm moves approximately 8", so you would then need a hydraulic with an 8" arm. This is allowing 4" in either direction for the hydraulic assist. I guess this is more a question than anything else because I am going through the same situation with moving my highsteer tie rod up from stock location.

5. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Take ram apart, make required spacer stop, reassemble ram. :thumb:

From what i've heard Hi-steer requires only about 6 3/4" throw.

6. Jishory

Jishory 1/2 ton status

well what steering arms are we talking about here? isnt it a bit different on everybodys or does everybody mount the rod ends the same distance from the kingpin axis?

how are you mounting the ram? i just installed my high steer and havnt mounted mine yet

7. 1976Blazer76

I fabbed up a mount that bolts to my spring plate on my drivers side. The ram is bolted to that and my arm.

8. bubbas1ton

bubbas1ton Newbie

I have the ORD high steer crossover kit. The tierod moves back from the stock location by about 3.5" and sits in front of the kingpin pivot on both sides. The draglink connects to the passenger side arm just to the outside of where the tierod connects to the arm.

I plan on mounting the stationary end of the ram to a tower I'll attach to the axle tube on the driver side so the active end will reach as far over to the passenger side end (within 3" or so) of the tierod. This is supposed to reduce the chance of bending the tierod so easily.

I think I'll swap out the 8" ram for a 6" cause I'm never going to get anywhere near the 8" travel. Then I'll just be careful.

Thanks for the advice. Keep it coming.

9. 4X4HIGH

Greg72 has the same setup as you and you need the 8" ram but need to limit the travel so you don't break knuckles. I think it is like 6 3/4" travel you need but if you decide to use a 6" ram instead you're going to lose a bunch of turning radius.

10. 1976Blazer76

I'm also curious about this. Don't mean to repeat myself, but when i go from lock right to lock left, it's around 8 1/2" for me. So, If I went to about 7 1/2", wouldn't that be safe?

11. 4X4HIGH

You need to first install your hi steer arm and tie rod then measure the amount of travel. The arm will move just as far as the stock knuckle but it's the mounting point that makes the difference. If the tie rod mounting hole is closer to the kingpin then you will have less travel, if you move the hole farther from the kingpin you will have more travel.