Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

D60 identification

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BOWTIE, Aug 19, 2004.

1. BOWTIE

BOWTIE 1/2 ton status

can any of you tell me if this is out of a dodge or chevy? the 14ff has me thinking chevy, but not sure.

http://jkcustoms.com/jkfs_010.jpg

thanks
    ric

2. 86chevybanshee

86chevybanshee 1/2 ton status

do u have pics of the hubs? i know my friends dodge has some funky looking selectro hubs that stick out like 2 inches

3. BOWTIE

BOWTIE 1/2 ton status

4. 86chevybanshee

86chevybanshee 1/2 ton status

u dont have the axle itself do u? if so or if u can get some mesurements(dont quote me on this), but measure wms(wheel mounting surface) to wms the dodge should be 67.5" and gm should be 69.5, again dont quote me on this stuff

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Dodge.

Chev doesn't have the central brake line splitting from side to side like that.

Rene

6. BOWTIE

BOWTIE 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    u dont have the axle itself do u? if so or if u can get some mesurements(dont quote me on this), but measure wms(wheel mounting surface) to wms the dodge should be 67.5" and gm should be 69.5, again dont quote me on this stuff

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks.. i don't have the axles.
    i'm trying to help a bud out before he buys them. and all we have to go by right now are the pictures.

7. fourwheelerjeff

fourwheelerjeff 1/2 ton status Staff Member Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    Dodge.

Rene

[/ QUOTE ]

i was going to say dodge for the same reason

8. BOWTIE

BOWTIE 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Dodge.

Rene

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks rene.. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif
    now the next question.. will this be an easy swap into a chevy?

9. fourwheelerjeff

fourwheelerjeff 1/2 ton status Staff Member Moderator

i know for a fact mudhog is running a dodge in his blazer /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

hey, that looks like almost the exact same dana 60 that I found in the JY. Good news is, its a d60. Bad news is, it has the external hubs. From what I have researched, the only new hub you can get for that is the MM Selectro brand. I have not heard many positive things about the hub. However, you can covert to GM SRW bearing hubs, but they are $$$.
    Lucky for me, my stock drive flanges were intact, so I am going to have them broached for 35 spline and run d70 stubs.

One question I have, are all dodge hubs painted white like that? or was it to match white steel wheels? i thought it had something to do with the Sno-Fighter pkg, but I'm not sure. Oh well, congrats on your find.

EDIT: your WMS should be 67.5", mine is. Also, there is a bracket on that central brake line attached to the long side tube, and the hole is threaded and goes all the way thru the axle tube. I thought it was a boneheaded PO steering stabilizer bootyfab, but its just crazy Dodge chit.

11. tRustyK5

[ QUOTE ]
    it has the external hubs.

[/ QUOTE ]

No it doesn't...it's doesn't have hubs at all and looks just like my Chev 60 without hubs. A Warn hub or any brand of slug would do just fine in there.

As for slinging it under a Chev, the perch width is a little different. Two methods to overcome that...one is to pull the springs apart a little and forget about it. The second method is to get some offset spring bushings from AZ-kickin.

Rene

12. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

is that a dual piston caliper? is that on GM axles also? I would have guessed dodge by the brake lines and I didn't think the GM calipers where that big /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

13. tRustyK5

[ QUOTE ]
    is that a dual piston caliper? is that on GM axles also? I would have guessed dodge by the brake lines and I didn't think the GM calipers where that big /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

The pic doesn't offer a really good look at the calipers, but from what I see they look like the same big Bendix calipers used on the GM D60's.

Rene

14. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    it has the external hubs.

[/ QUOTE ]

No it doesn't...it's doesn't have hubs at all and looks just like my Chev 60 without hubs. A Warn hub or any brand of slug would do just fine in there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm...sure does look like external hubs to me. When I said hubs I meant bearing hubs, not locking /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif
    Here is a pic of my Dodge D60's stock drive flanges on the external bearing hubs.

[image]http://us.f2.yahoofs.com/users/401dd1a4_fe4b/bc/960c/__sr_/31c8.jpg?phLxlJBB0SPXqlBZ[/image] Pic