Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

D60 inner ????

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by big pappa b, Mar 24, 2004.

1. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

I thought the inner shafts on D60's were 35 spline until I searched a bit and see they were but only after a certain year /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif My axle was one that came out of the military trucks. I was planning to order a locker but they make them for both 30 & 35 spline setups. Any way to tell besides opening it up first??

2. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Best is to pull it open. AFAIK the 30 spline are rare with kinkpins however. Mine is a 1990 dodge and has beef 35 spline.

3. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

if it is a chev I doubt it will have anything but 35s

4. big pappa b

Thanks guys. I'm pretty sure it's 35 too. I just wanted someone else to ease my worries...
    LOCKER HERE I COME /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

5. Okiemuddog

Okiemuddog 1/2 ton status

I want to know how you got that locker to fit in that envelope you sent /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

6. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

If it originally came from a GM and has not been modified, it's a 35 spline AFAIK. The only exceptions I know of are old Dodge and Kaiser units, and maybe Ford (but I think they are all 35 too) or aftermarket conversions. If it's from a CUCV, it's definitely a 35 spline inner.

I think it's also possible to have swapped the side gears from a rear (or even entire carrier I suppose?) but I have no idea why anyone would do such a thing.

7. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

Yeah its a 35-spline...the only changes I know of on the GM side of things is the older shafts were "neck-down" and the new ones are not...

Chris

8. big pappa b

I dont mind the neck down for now. I'll run'em til they break or I have tons of extra money I have no other use for

9. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I could be wrong, but I thought the 30 spline D60's were rear axles only.....
    I'm no expert so that information could be incorrect. This was before the "new" style D60 front axles came out with balljoints, so maybe those have 30 spline inners as well.

10. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

I have never heard of a front, open knuckle D60 (in any brand vehicle) having anything less than 1.5" / 35 spline inner axles. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif