Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

D60 install on first gen

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Green71, Sep 9, 2003.

1. Green71

Green71 Registered Member

Im getting ready to go to 1 ton now /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif......and i was wondering if the D60 will match right up to the springs or not...I did a search and the answers i found were on 2nd gen Blazers, so im wondering if ill have to move the perches or not..... /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif? Also any advice for boltin' one into a first gen would be very helpfull, as this is my first 1ton swap /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif. /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif Thanks again guys for all the input. Ive learned so much here. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

The 60 will bolt in like it was ment to be there. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Even in your 1st gen.

If your 14b is from a 1 ton truck, it will bolt in as well. If it is from a 3/4 ton truck, the perches will have to be moved in a bit. All 1st gens, and 2nd gen 1 tons have the spring perches at 40.5" on center, 3/4 ton trucks are 42.5". Good luck dude. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

3. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

Kid Jethro is right on the money /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

PM florida4X4 or Greg72 they have 1 ton first gens. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I bet they have some pics too. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I should be another 1 Ton first gen in october. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif
    About the only other thing i see possibly needing to address is if you have a 6" front spring like mine with a 6* tapered wedge on the bottom of the leaf pack, the studs or bolts that bolt into the D60 housing will be at an angle...
    The solution for this is either purchasing some 5/8" Spherical Washers or getting an angled ubolt plate, PM TonyP and willyswanter about u bolt plates.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. jeffro

jeffro 1/2 ton status

Ryan, why not stick another angle shim on top of the spring the other direction and sandwich the spring between? The two shims would cancel each other out.

6. Green71

Green71 Registered Member

Hey thanks guys for your input. Now i know to look for a 1 ton 14b to make things go a might bit easier. (im not afraid of moving the perches, but if i dont really HAVE to, then all the better /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif) /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

One other thing to think about for the rear axle... It will make the difference between needing to move the spring perches or not... If no CV, you need the T-case yoke and the pinion yoke angles to be within 2 degrees of each other..

Are you running a CV driveshaft? Do you plan to? I don't like using angle wedge shims to rotate the pinion angle... Rather weld the spring perches where they need to be with the cv driveshaft in... and be done with it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif