Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

d60 / kingpin question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by protechk5, Feb 9, 2006.

1. protechk5

protechk5 1/2 ton status

I just bought a k5 with a d60 under it, I flat towed it like 400miles with a toyota t100 and it was like perfect, no deathwoble or anything while towing. I could turn the wheels by hand with the steering wheel. The guy said he put new kingpins and brakes on it a year ago, but the truck hasnt moved since, from what i can tell hes telling the truth, the rotors and pads look brand new beside the rust. But after taking the axle off, and letting it sit around for a week, I found that i cant move the knuckles by hand or at all. I took the tierod off, one side if I really try I can move it a little, and the other side i cant even move. Is this normal or what? I know when you put new ball joints in they are pretty stiff but nothing even close to this. Oh and its not the u joints or shafts that is preventing them for moving, cuz the rotor spins freely with the hubs locked. Any ideas? I plan on selling this axle and dont want to rip someone off when i tell them everything is perfect on this axles when the knuckles wont even move.

2. neverendingproject

neverendingproject 1/2 ton status

From what Ive heard, yes. I believe that means you have good kingpins if they are hard to move. A few more guys will chime in and see if im wrong.

3. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Mine were prett tough after I replace the kingpin bushings and springs. I could move them by hand, but barely

4. dodgedude99

dodgedude99 1/2 ton status

same here, i replaced everything and i had a hard time turning it.

5. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I replaced everything but the kingpin itself and I could just move them with the tierod connecting the 2 together. I think yours are prolly just fine:D.

Ira

6. protechk5

protechk5 1/2 ton status

sounds good thanks everyone