Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

D60 kingpin torque

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by odoa3, Mar 23, 2006.

1. odoa3

odoa3 1/2 ton status

So, how do you get the correct torque on the kingpins when you are rebuilding them? Factory, they were supposed to have 600 lbs- not sure how I can do that. I have 7/8 allen wrench I used to take them out, so should I just put a cheater on it and get them as tight as I can? This does not seem to be too precise. Any guidance would be helpful.
    Thanks.

2. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

thats what i'd do, just crank the bastards down. i think thats what most people do without problem;)

3. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

tractor trailer shops will have a big tourqe wrench for doing big rig tires . ares at work goes to 600 i think. but well over 500 i know .

4. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

would it work if you made a bar like 3 feet long and attached the allen to on side and put a square hole in the other side to put a normal torque wrench on it. Then say if the bar is 3 feet long you would only have to get the torque wrench to read 200 and the bar would muntiply it to 600 ft-lbs

5. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Uh....no.

Just get a 6 ft pipe and put a 100 pounds of pressure on it.

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

uhhh the torque wrench measures the torque AT the head, leverage will just help you get their faster and easier. Snap On, Mac, Matco all have 3/4" torque wrenches that can do 600ft-lbs. Tractor Trailer shop should be able to do it. Me? I would just crank the suckers in. One thing I heard on Pirate I sort of liked, was warm the knuckle a little bit, install the kingpin and crank it down with just a breaker bar(they said ratchet, I'd rather more than that), and as it cools it will lock in. No need to torque.

7. onetonbb74

onetonbb74 1/2 ton status

Sounds precise to me. When i did mine, There was nothing but a jack handle around so i just used my rear bumper, slipped it over the 7/8 allen and i was done in seconds. Granted the bumper i was using was already in my garage and it was made out of 1/4" 2x4 not capped, weighed 70lbs, and about the width of a full size. In the book i read it said 500-600 so i assumed F**king tight but nothing accurate.

8. mtnman210

mtnman210 1/2 ton status

this may not be a big help but I'm just donig the same thing now. Here's what I'm using. I had to special order a "long" 7/8" allen and I borrowed a 800ft/lb torque wrench from work. I just cut about an inch and a half off the bottom of the allen. Then I can use the cut piece and a socket to torque it up.

[​IMG]

9. odoa3

odoa3 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the info guys. I found a 500 pound torque wrench at a rental shop. I guess I can use that then a "touch" more. Problem now is finding a 3/4 drive 7/8 socket. I like the heating idea.

What happens if you over tighten it? Steering would just be too tight, correct?

10. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

no, you just may never get it back out of the knuckle without destroying the knuckle. If its too loose of course it could work its way out, and that would simply be bad.