Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

D60 Kingpin vs Balljoint

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bigbluesuburban, Feb 9, 2006.

1. bigbluesuburban

bigbluesuburban 1/2 ton status

First off, I want to say that this forum is excellent.

Thank you to all that have offered me advice as I get ready to make some major modification to my Suburban.

So here is another question.

Important information to know. I am planning to run Hummer wheels. So that means that I am going to install dually axles under my rig.

I am planning to install a t-case doubler. Doing this increases my options with regard to front axles. I have learned that Ford made a high pinion D60 front, I have also learned that my best option is a 1978-79 D60. However, this particular vintage never came in a dually setup. So I am going to have to install dually hardware on the front. Another forum member informed me that I can not just simply swap on dually hubs because they are not interchangable, however if I take Chevy dually front spindle and swap them onto the Ford housing at the ball joints this will solve my problem, allowing me to have a high pinion D60 Ford housing with Dually spindles on the front.

And now after all of that... my question.

Can I/Should I use a kingpin style housing or a balljoint style housing?

The only reason that I ask this is because I came across an auction on Ebay for a kingpin D60 front axle. And I did not even know that this even existed.

Ok, so now try to take it easy on me with regard to my lack of knowledge. I am just trying to make the right preliminary decisions before I invest a ton of money into parts.

Thanks for the help.

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Do you also know that a Ford HP60 is a drivers side drop whereas a chevy is a passenger side drop for the front driveshaft? So if you go with a ford HP60, you'll need to run a ford tcase too.

3. neverendingproject

neverendingproject 1/2 ton status

Chevy never made ball joint D60's. 78-79 HP ford 60's have kingpins.

The stuff should interchange if you replace the knuckles too. King pins are better than ball joints, but all super duties run ball joints and Ive never heard of a problem.

4. bigbluesuburban

This is one of the few things I did know. And since I am going to be running the double T-case my plan is for chevy 203 and Ford 205 combo as recommended to me by one of the vendors on this forum. And I will also be able to clock it to just about any angle I want. Thanks for the heads up.

5. bigbluesuburban

Cool, this is exactly what I needed to know. So now I need to find a Ford HP 78-79 D60 with 4:10's and then everything from the kingpins out off of a Chevy Dually D60 front.

Thanks for the confirmation

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2006
  6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Sorry, parts wanted goes in the parts wanted forum. Please post there if you're looking for something. ;)

Rene

7. bigbluesuburban

Censoring... Hmmm, Very Interesting

8. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

It's called moderating. We keep each forum on topic and within the site guidelines. Parts/vehicles wanted and parts/vehicles for sale is not allowed in the garage forum. We have several specific forums for that kind of stuff...

Rene

9. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Wow 12 posts and already pissin of the Mods. Some peoples kids:rolleyes: :D .

Ira

10. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

I do believe the "balljoint" 60 that your refering to is actually a dana 50. Like those that are found under the super duties. i dont know how similar the internals are but I do know they look very similar except for the balljoints on the ends. Its possible that the guy on ebay thinks its a 60 when it really is a 50.

11. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

i believe all f250s until 01 had d50s. since then they all have d60s.

12. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

77.5-79 HP60s did come in dually form... just super rare. They're just as rare as Supercab F250s of the same year, if not moreso.

The nice thing is that the bearing hubs are swappable from 85.5-96 HP60s onto 77.5-79 HP60s. From what I've seen, the rotors and caliper brackets are the same SRW, DRW, 77.5-79, and 85.5-96.

85.5-91.5 Ford HP60s are kingpin. They just have wider spring perches (36.5" vs 31.5" with the pinion moved over about 3.5") and different axleshafts.

77.5-79 and 85.5-96 (went to balljoint in 92) Ford HP60 steering knuckles are weak. A hard landing will bust them or something as minor as running into a rock with the tires turned. So, depending on tire and wheel options it might be easier to just buy a set of Dedenbear steering knuckles rather than procure Chevy D60 steering knuckles, backing plates, spindles, and bearing hubs.

I'd avoid a balljoint Dana 60 or a Dana 60 with unit bearings. I'd avoid the balljoint axles because the parts for them are expensive (compared to kingpin) and I'd avoid unit bearings because the fail all the time and are expensive.

I'm running a Chevy LP60 and a Ford 77.5-79 HP60. You can tell that the HP60 knuckles are weak sauce when you look at them. The brakes are some serious beef though.