Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

D60 Knuckle Bearing Removal

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by RoknRollr, Jun 27, 2003.

1. RoknRollr

RoknRollr Registered Member

My steering is walking in a major way. I've replaced the UJoint between the inner & outer axles which makes it much better, but not good enough. So, I am trying to rebuild the kinpin bearings. The D60 maint manual (page 16, figure 58) says to "Remove four cap screws on bearing cap. Remove bearing cap." UNDERSTATEMENT!!! I've tried everything shy of the cutting torch to remove that cap after removing the screws. Is there a trick???

2. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

the trick is... you are SUPPOSED to remove the upper king pin. BUT i dont have anything that will TQ to 500 to 600 ft lbs. so to remove the bearing i uses a seal/gaskit puller. i check the condition of the race and was lucky. nice and smooth, no nick burs or gouges on ethier side.
    if you have to replace the race, i think you will have to remove the kingpin and punch the cap, race, bearing and seal out. oh, the seal has to come out then the bearing just falls out.
    Grant

3. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

Bang on it with a hammer [gently] to break it loose, drive a small thin chisel between it and the knuckle, if You have a heelbar, work around the four corner's, and it will come out. WD 40 or similar stuff help's too. Rust is the problem, and it just take's some messing with to get em loose. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif