Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

D60 Knuckles on D44 Housing?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bshewmaker, Feb 5, 2004.

1. bshewmaker

bshewmaker Registered Member

has this been done? If so, what do y'all thing the advantages-disadvantages would be?

2. GMCLegacy

GMCLegacy 1/2 ton status

am i missing the point of such a conversion?

you will still have a D44 R&P, D44 shafts.....

3. bshewmaker

you have to start somewhere. not everybody can call up boyce equipment and give them your credit card number

4. GMCLegacy

GMCLegacy 1/2 ton status

do you understand that a D60 has kingpins and a D44 has balljoints, i dont see that being a resonable conversion to spend time and money on. what are you planning on running on your rig. i have 40's on my D44 and havent blown out a balljoint if that is your concern. the main advantage of a D60 is the larger shaft size, large ujoints, and larger R&P. with swapping out knuckles you arent gaining any of those. i understand the need to start somewhere, but i think you are looking at the wrong parts to start.

5. bshewmaker

I'm aware of the end forging differences. Ive been looking locally for a used d60 and I'm going to put after market knuckles on. Which btw any suggestions on places to find d60 knuckles without tierod mounts, strictly for hysteer. So I was just going to go ahead and get them, and mount them. I cant have a new toy and not play with it.

6. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

d60 knuckles are pricy SOB's

Dedenbear and Crane both make knuckles, I belive Dedenbear are cheaper, but with what you spend on knuckles alone you could have found a d60, search around for deals that people have gotten on their 60's, they can be had for a reasonable price if your patient. But as far as putting 60 knuckles on a 44, sounds like a waste of time, If your wheeling hard enough to break knuckles, then you will break u joints, and R&Ps 10 fold

7. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

i have to agree with you on having a new toy and not being able to play with it. however the money you'll spend on making it work on your D44 will be better spent on parts that will get you closer to your final product.

8. bshewmaker

thanks for the input guys I'll probably just keep tryin to find a d60 and go from there, just thinking outloud

9. the cork

the cork 1/2 ton status

i think thats what a custom terra50 is, although not positive, /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

10. Okiemuddog

Okiemuddog 1/2 ton status

You got an email /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

As far as the balljoints blowing. i have not blown one yet. I have however, along with robzilla, had to replace them quarterly (every 3 mo) I am running moog, Rob has spicer. That alone is my reason for a D60.
    My .02 and rocks are hard on joints (rag, ball, u, anything else that ends in 'joint')