Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

D60 leaking gear oil out of passenger tube

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Okiemuddog, Mar 21, 2004.

1. Okiemuddog

Okiemuddog 1/2 ton status

Okay, I am going to show my ignorance, where is the oil seal at /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif? Does any one have the part number and what is involved in the replacement? I checked at work and the only seal I can get is the wheel seal for the back of the hub /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif.

TIA,
    Krennen

2. scoutillac

scoutillac 1/2 ton status

If it is anything like a 44 then you have to pull the carrier out. It is pressed in behind the Carrier bearings. I don't have any part #'s.

3. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Inner wheel seal...have to remove the carrier to replace them.

As far as part number, I'll leave that to someone else. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

4. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

Make sure to get this seal from a dealer because the GM seal has a guide collar that helps line up the shaft. You might find that your shafts have been grooved by running on dirty seal. Good luck /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

only problem with buying rubber parts form places like GM shelves is that they might have been on shelf so long that they would be no good nowadays,

6. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

I talked to Sapper and he told me that my axles were originally the "Generals" (Joel). After talking with him he said that my D60 inner seals were leaking too but he never got to replace the seals and neither did Tyler. I went to Autozone and bought new inner seals and bearings. Both were Timken brand. Bearing # Set 38 and the seals are #2081. If you find I was given the wrong ones let me know. I haven't changed them out yet as I'm still deciding on what locker I want. Already have the 35 spline stubs and hubs

7. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

Why are you replaceing the bearing?

Make sure you got the "Inner Axle seal" not the "inner wheel seal"

AFAIK, all inner axle seal for D60 have the guide to allow the axle to seat properly without jacking up the seal...

Chris

8. big pappa b

Why am I replacing the bearing? ...why not? Since it's gonna be apart and has unknown miles on it, it's worth a few extra bucks for my piece of mind knowing everything inside is new

9. fortcollinsram

Are you planning on settin gup your gears again? if you just keep the old bearing on, you just pop the carrier out and repace the seal and pop the carrier back in..One you pull those bearings off the carrier, you are going to "need" to reset the gears and back lash...I say "need" b/c you probably can get away with not doing it but you really should...There is a reason you need to take your time to set up gears when you put all new bearings on the pinion and carrier.

If you are planning on a locker, DO IT NOW. Just get a locker and a master install kit and then set up the gears and run it. Aftre replacing the seal of course

Chris

10. big pappa b

Hmmm..didn't realize setting up again was part of the process. thanks

11. fortcollinsram

if I were you, I wouldn't bother replacing the bearings unless they were known to be bad or you were installing a locker or swapping gears...I am keeping the stock gears in my D60 (4.56) but I have a detroit sitting in the garage and just need and install kit to setem up...

12. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

You will ahve to pull out the short side axle, before you can remove the carrier.

I would be sort of silly to only replace the carrier bearings and not all of them. Usually you can just do a rebearing and the R and P will not change, so theres really no need to worry about screwing everyitng up. Same if you put in a locker, the R and P shouldnt change.

13. Okiemuddog

Okiemuddog 1/2 ton status

Quick someone call the FAA, I need an air marshal, because my post has been HIJACKED /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

14. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

You can get them from www.partsamerica.com it is chicago rawhide part number 15692. The last time I bought the real spicers and it was the exact same part in different boxes.

To change them you have to:
    1) pull the hubs, spindles, and the axle shafts (both).
    2) take the carrier out (might have to pry -- be careful its heavy).
    3) knock out the old ones with a broom stick or something through the axle tube.
    4) Finally you have to drive the new seals in without damaging them. Some people put a bunch of extensions and a socket through the axle tube to pound it in but I just use a small sledge and a large socket or puck.

I would not replace the carrier bearings unless there is something wrong with them. It would definately be in your best interest to check the preload and backlash after pressing on new carrier bearings.

15. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    20 year old bearings/races, matching todays batch
    will usually be different. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

16. big pappa b

[ QUOTE ]
    Quick someone call the FAA, I need an air marshal, because my post has been HIJACKED /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

HAHAHA..sorry man. I was just trying to help /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif
    I'll make it up to ya /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

17. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif