Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

d60 locker choices

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TX Mudder, Nov 26, 2002.

1. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

List of D60 locker choices

That's what I see as available.
    Trac loc and Power loc- LSDs, so probably no good.
    ARB - I don't have that much money to put into it.
    Lockright - I hear these break a lot.
    No slip - Don't know too much about it, have searched without any good info.
    Spool - Out, I drive on the streets.
    Detroit - about the only thing left, and bulletproof.

Is that pretty much the gist of d60 locker choices?

-- Mike

2. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

The Power-Lock is a VERY good LSD... It has a funky wedge-action with the cross-pin that makes it work much better than a basic clutch-pack LSD. Nice thing is its not clunky, making it good for a steering axle.

The problem is finding one for a Dana 60 35-spline application /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

3. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I didn't think about that - which ones are for 35 spline inners and which are only for inferior inners.
    Hmmm...
    -- Mike

4. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

This is unverified....

Somebody told me you can swap the 35-spline side gears from a D70 power-lock into a a 16 or 30-spline D60 powerlock.

Two problems I have with that scenario:
    1. Finding a Dana 70 power-lok /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif
    2. I don't think a 35-spline shaft fits into the 16/30 spline case. Could bore it out - if there's enough material (same bearing size? who knows?) /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Also heard that the power-lok came in full-floater applications, whereas trac-lok is for semi-floaters. Hmmm... I think one of the few 35-spline Dana 60 full-floaters is an E350 SRW.... anyone know?

Sorry, more questions than answers /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

5. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

I recommend the Lock-right---belive it or not ive heard these hold up very well in 60's (even better than detroits. i have one in mine and right now i dont whell it toooo hard bit i did break a hub and the locker is fine---you will most likly pop the detroit in this senario (sp?)

6. im getting the powerlock in my front 60, after talking to the shop, i was convinced that was what i need, since its a daily driver, and willl need 4x4 on street when driving in snow.

7. 72THING

72THING 1/2 ton status

I agree with SCOOBYDANN. I have a Lock-Rite running a mild 355 small block, one-ton axles, and 39.5" TSLs. I've been really hard on it for about 10 months and have yet to break it. I recommend it as a viable alternative to a Detroit Locker. Just my $.02.

Will