Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

D60 Locker Install Without Case Spreader?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by willyswanter, Mar 10, 2004.

1. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Did you use a case spreader? I'm doing my ARB install and I was able to get the old carrier out of the housing using a clawhammer without too many problems... I also got the ARB in by using the carrier caps to suck it in without too much of a problem either. But, my backlash was too little and I need to pull it out again and that thing will not budge. The ARB takes up all the room in the housing so I can't get the hammer back in... Bout ready to hook the winch to it and yank it out... Took me about 1.5 hours to get the old one out gear swapped, bearings on, and installed, and I spent 3 hours trying to get it out till I gave up.

If I have too I can build a spreader but really don't want to.

2. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

ARB's are a bitch to get out, we did one at work without a spreader and ended up borrowing a spreader to do finish the install. made it MUCH easier to finish, but that damn ARB is still wedged the [darn] in there. Whats your back lash at?

3. willyswanter

About -.003" /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

I can't even really turn the ring gear by hand it's so tight...

4. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

[darn], thats a problem, ours ended up waayyyy to loose, we got tired of screwin with it so we said screw it. I think ours is runnin around .025-.030 of backlash. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif Too bad your not closer I would say come borrow my spreader.

5. willyswanter

Yeah, if it was a bit too loose I wouldn't care but this thing is way tight and would just absolutely fry the gears.

6. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

It's been a while since I put mine in, but I did not use a case spreader. I did have to use a crowbar to pry it out when I was figuring out the number of shims I needed, but I don't remember it being too difficult (my memory sucks btw)...But I do remember putting it in was tougher than prying it out...
    Anyhow, man, that sounds really tight if you can't spin it by hand...wow, I'm suprised you even got it in there.

Anyhow, sorry, not much help, but just letting you know I did not use a spreader... /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

7. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Try spinning the pinion in reverse. That should make it want to pop out (more so if it is tight). Use some leverage on the yoke if need be. Have somebody there to catch it, cause if it works it will *POP* out. And hope you get it right the next time. Any other ideas???? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

8. bluejeep

bluejeep 1/2 ton status

I do them all the time in D60's. Use two pry bars on the ring gear bolts, one on the top side of the diff and the other on the bottom side of the diff. It helps to have someone else there to hold the one as you pry on the other. You can get it moving this way on the left side, then get it out a little on the right side, and so forth...

If this doesn't work, the winch idea may, but have somebody else handy to help catch it and hold all the shims on the right side so they don't go flying.

9. bluejeep

bluejeep 1/2 ton status

Also if it's THAT tight, you may take out 0.005" out of the left shim pack. There is such a thing as TOO much carrier bearing preload.

10. willyswanter

Left side as in when looking straight at it or left side of vehicle? This is a front diff... I added .015" preload per the D60 manual. Do you think it could be too much preload and not the backlash? Like I said, I can't even turn the ring gear by hand so it may have the correct amount of backlash and just be wedged in there too tight /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

11. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Jason, Two crowbars will work... but try this.
    Take a box end wrench and put it on one of the ring gear bolts. Spin the pinion until that wrench is wedged against the bottom of the housing. Get the large 1-5/16" or whatever socket on a breaker bar, and turn the pinion nut to get some leverage. The gear mesh will walk it outta the housing, and arb carrier will pop outta the diff. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Have someone catch it. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif After trying a few other methods, this was by far the easiest. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

12. willyswanter

Hmm, I'll give that a try first then! Since I'm all by my lonesome I'll make a pile of pillows and blankets for it to fall into /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

13. bluejeep

bluejeep 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Left side as in when looking straight at it or left side of vehicle? This is a front diff... I added .015" preload per the D60 manual. Do you think it could be too much preload and not the backlash? Like I said, I can't even turn the ring gear by hand so it may have the correct amount of backlash and just be wedged in there too tight

[/ QUOTE ]

Left side as you're looking at it (ie ring gear side of the diff), sorry, I was trying to make it as clear as possible and muddied it. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif I know it's a front diff.

What do you have for backlash? I'm pretty religious when it comes to the 0.006-0.010" If I put one together and it's 0.012", I take it back apart and correct it. You should definitely be able to turn it by hand when it's done. If you have the correct pinion bearing preload (which you should since you've already had the gears, just adding the ARB), that would mean that if you can't turn it by hand it's the carrier bearing preload that's causing the friction, assuming your backlash is even close to spec.

When you put the diff back in, you should have to pound it in with a soft-faced dead blow, but it shouldn't require much more than that. If you can't get it mostly in with a dead blow, you've got too many shims. You may have to pull it in that last little bit with the carrier bearing caps, but not the whole way! Hope this helps.

14. bluejeep

bluejeep 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Hmm, I'll give that a try first then! Since I'm all by my lonesome I'll make a pile of pillows and blankets for it to fall into

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm.....I woudn't want to fall asleep to the smell of gear lube. Just put an old coat on the ground or in a milk crate for it to fall into and some duct tape on it to hold the shims and races on. AND BE VERY CAREFUL OF THE COPPER LINE.

15. hardcore71

hardcore71 Registered Member

10-4 to the box wrench idea. If D60 has a LH thread ring gear bolt then the wrench needs to be against the top side of the case. I then usually just use a pry bar between another ring gear bolt and the bottom of the case. It should pop right out. If you really have to fight it out then you have too much carrier bearing preload. All diffs are set up to use a case spreader it is just so you don't have to tap the carrier in.

16. willyswanter

Hey Ryan, I love you man!!! That way worked perfect and had it out in seconds! Had to put it in 2 more times to get the back lash right and all is well now and that little pssssst sound of an ARB is a great sound /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif If I see you this weekend I'm gonna give you a big hug /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

17. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Just out of curiousity, what size socket is required for the pinion nut?

18. willyswanter

Dunno, I was too lazy to take my front shaft off and just used a massive crescent wrench to turn the yokes.

19. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

/forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/crewcab.gif

Right on dude!
    I couldn't really remember if you had to wedge the wrench against the top or bottom of the housing... now that i think about it, probably is the top of the housing... but i was sure you'd figure it out... /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

What is this 'if i see you' stuff... /forums/images/graemlins/shame.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif
    ...I will be waiting for your uhhh, hug on the mini con at hollister this weekend.. /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

20. willyswanter

Hehe, I'll probably make a showing but it may/may not be in the truck, still haven't gotten my steering box back yet, hopefully tomorrow...