Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

D60 or doubler 1st and why?

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by 70~K5, Jul 10, 2004.

1. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

I have a '73 K5 454, th350, 3/4 ton front and 14BFF rear. At some point I'll change the front to a D60. Also I'm going to build a doubler too. So the ? is which to do 1st?
    The other ? is ford or GM front D60 and why?
    thanks. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Im always a fan of starting with the axles and building up from there (as opposed to starting with the tires, or a lift height or whatever). Doublers ROCK, but if I couldnt afford both at once, I'd much rather wheel in the mean time with a D60 front and less gear than a weeny front axle and a doubler...

j

3. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Bruce, do the D60 first because if you go doubler first you will break the D44 with the low gearing. Also go GM D60 if you want easy direct bolt in. If you want to do a lot of work and want hi-pinion then go Ford D60, just remember this also means different T-case for driver drop instead of passenger drop. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

One more piece of info I forgot to post. I'm running 37/ 13.50x16 boggers on champion beadlocks with 4.10 gears. The gear ratio isn't bad on the road, but could use more gear offroad. But I could live with them if my lowrange was lower.
    So if I go D60 first then what ratio? I don't plan on going any taller than 39" tall tire at the most and may stay with 37"s.

5. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

if you had OD, I'd say go straight to 5.13s... but you don't, so 4.56 or 4.88 would prolly be best.

j

6. mtn. burb

mtn. burb 1/2 ton status

1. D60 first my friend.
    A doubler will grenade your 10 bolt. /forums/images/graemlins/shame.gif
    2. 4.56 / 4.88 w/ a TH350.
    3. Then it's Doubler time.

/forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

7. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Tough call. If you're going to be in the rocks I'd say Doubler 1st and learn to drive it gentle. You'll roast a tranny trying to go slow with that setup. It'll be easy to break but possible to use.

If you can go deeper on the axle gears when you do the D60, that will solve some of the gearing problem but it's a tiny step in the right direction compared to doubling your T-case gearing.

I ran with 35-36" tires with the Doubler and stock shafts and it did pretty good. The control in rough stuff was great, it really wasn't all about brute strength gettin' it. I had chromo fronts by the time I went to 37's so that helped a lot but I could still drive it fairly hard.

If you're an aggressive driver or run in sloppy stuff, the D60 should come 1st. I have a feeling you're going to be in rocks a good bit given your central cal location so I'm going to vote for Doubler with a savings plan for the D60.