Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

D60 Overhaul

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BigBadCad, Aug 6, 2002.

1. BigBadCad

BigBadCad 1/2 ton status

Does anyone have any links that show a D60 overhaul/teardown? It would be nice to have a visual referance if needed.

Opinions please:
    If you are in the middle of a brake job and discover one of your front calipers/cylinders is shot and needs replacing, do you replace both while it's all torn apart or do you reuse and wait for the other one to go bad?

thanks in advance

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I always replace the calipers as a pair, cylinders I would be OK replacing one at a time. The only tear down instructions I've found for the D60 is the manual that you can find in the tech section here on CK5.</font color>

3. BigBadCad

BigBadCad 1/2 ton status

Alright..I priced some loaded(Raybestos semi-metallic) calipers at Checker for $46. Any opinion on the pads? Would I be better off buying an unloaded calipers for $25 and loading it with a differant pad? I am willing to pay a little extra for a superior product.

4. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I used the Raybestos pads and they worked fine. Of course I wear pads out in like 5k miles... Sand, mud, and 38s are hard on those little buggers /forums/images/icons/wink.gif </font color>

5. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

what is "shot"?
    is the piston scored badly? or just the seal worn out?
    if the piston is in good condition just replace the seals

raybestos part #
    piston dps85051
    seal kit wk806

6. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

I'm about to embark on the D60 rebuild journey in the next few days.... parts have been ordered, and I can take pics as I go.

I am by no means an expert, but maybe that will make it better....I don't make many assumptions about what you might know (or don't know) about the steps involved.

I'll be doing the complete outer areas...bearing sets, kingpin rebuild, u-joints, hubs, etc. I'm hoping NOT to dismantle the gears &amp; carrier, or replace those inner fluid seals though.......

7. BigBadCad

BigBadCad 1/2 ton status

The seal has disintegrated and the piston is seized. I've decided to replace both calipers and be done with it. Now I just have to figure out how to tear it down.

8. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

yeh Greg let us know how it goes cause i've got to do the same exact thing. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

9. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

If you do have to change inner tube seal, use the gm part #462857. It has a nifty steel guide collar to help put shafts in. My shafts came out covered in goopy crud, so I had to replace seals.