Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

d60 parts on a 14bolt

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by RootBreaker, May 20, 2005.

1. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Ok so I was bored today... and was thinking.. is it possible to put the d60 outters and stuff on a rear 14bolt... so you can have rear steering?
    I know someone put a 14bolt up front...
    but with a big rig like mine... 4 wheel steering without going with deuce axles would be cool...

just curious..
    :grin:

2. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Seems to me it'd be just like doing the 14 bolt front with a full hydro steering setup. I'd honestly wonder how long those u-joints would last under the rear of a heavy truck with a heavy foot though. I know I know, keep 'em straight, sh!t still happens.

3. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Calling K5MONSTERCHEV........................

Another way to go would be to use aftermarket parts. I can't think of the name of the company, but they make those big beefy D60 knuckles and what not. I do know that Steve (ColoradoK5) has them on the UAV.

4. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

deadenbear (sp?) makes the new knuckles. it is a very doable thing, but honestly i would use a D60 or 70 to do it as if you are going to spend that much on a rear axle why not get something that has a tad more ground clearance with a TON of gear ratio options. im running a 14 bolt now, but when i do dive into rear steer it will be a Dana Axle. just personal opinion, and it would save some bux to use a 14 bolt. i think it would be just fine. especialy since the u-joints in the rear would be use mostly straight. not putting as much wear on them straight as you are turned.

Grant.

5. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

When I make my rear axle im going to use Dedenbear knuckles inner and outer and Mosers strongest shafts and u joints. I dont remember exactly what they were, but I rememebr when I talked to them about front shafts, they had an even stronger u joint and axle (they werent mass produced yet), and he said that it would be better for the rear setup.