Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

D60 Perch Help!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by lornyk5, Jun 3, 2005.

1. lornyk5

lornyk5 Registered Member

I read somewhere about a u-bolt kit that does away with the inner 2 bolts on the pumkin side of the right spring perch, and converts it to a u-bolt. I have tried to repair the stripped bolts, but am not happy with it. Can someone direct me to a kit to replace these. :)

2. short sub

short sub Registered Member

ive broken 3 bolts in my 60 and i cannot find any other way to fix it besides using a heli coil which i just did. This time i bought a kit from offroad design and it uses studs instead of the bolts in the diff. and i feel like they may hold up better to the abuse, well see. Well if u do find a kit to convert it to a u bolt keep me posted Good luck. later Ryan

3. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

are you trying to use degree shims with stock spring pads?

4. lornyk5

I run shims, and 11/16 studs and had the top plate drilled 3/4. So everything is sitting flush, very little side load on bolts. Maybe I was dreaming I read about a kit to change this to a full u-bolt setup! :o

5. metto

metto Registered Member

no, its possible. search for "cheromanche" or somthing on pirate, there was a guy who ground down the D60 casting to take a 2nd u bolt.

6. lornyk5

I'll see what I can dig up! Thanks :cool1:

7. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

there's your problem. and if you are running degreed shims, and stock spring plates, no matter how flush it looks, its cocked, and side loading the studs.

8. Scott39

Scott39 1/2 ton status

If you can modify the diff housing to accept a Ubolt, here in Denver,CO. you can get any size Ubolt made.

9. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

Yep, you need to have the spring plate milled to the same degree as the shim or only one side of the nut will be contacting the plate. The stud will want to bend when tighten in order to try and sit flush with the spring plate => it breaks.

10. google

google 1/2 ton status

Gawd I wish I know what the hell all this ment. Then maby I could be learning something. Anyone know of a good picture book??? Ohoh, chiltons has pictures!!!

11. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

I'll take a shot at explaining it without a pic, or maybe you can draw one and see if you can make sense of it.
    On a D60 the passenger side spring attaches to the axle housing with a u-bolt on one side and two studs that go into tapped holes in the centersectionon the other side. If you rotate the axle with shims the studs will also rotate since they are in a fixed position, but the spring plate stays in the same place. Therefore the studs are being bent when they get tightened. Does that make sense?

12. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Yes, actualy.

13. trollporter

trollporter 1/2 ton status

You do not need the spring plate milled to the same degree as the shim. All you need is another shim of the same degree to put under the spring plate facing the oposite direction of the shim thats under the leaf pack.

As far as the threaded housing stud holes go, I've seen a guy add a third stud hole in between the existing holes.

I pulled the threads out of both of my stud holes on a ride last year. I retapped them bigger, cant remember size. But when I put everything back together I used a piece of thick walled 1x1 square tubing the same length as the top plate with 2 holes where the stud holes are. I did this to fill the void between the bottom of the top spring plate and the surface of the stud holes. 1" worked perfect for me but may not for others because of spring pack thickness. My thinking in doing this is that it will give me a surface to tighten against. Havent had any probs yet.

Do you get the picture?

Last edited: Jun 6, 2005
  14. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

wow, thats not a half bad idea... Ive never busted a bolt off their, but I figure its only a matter of time...

j

15. lornyk5

Yes I agree with everything said, and thankyou for the input. I don't have alot of the green stuff and my setup now is strong but it would be stronger if I milled the plate, just looking for some different options. The nuts don't contact fully but it's much stronger than 2 stripped bolts instead of 2 11\16 studs. When I get the cash I'll do it up proper like. :D