Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

D60 Question... pls read

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by KRAZIE87K5, Aug 6, 2001.

1. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

I have a strange noise coming from the driver's side of my D60 axle. It resembles the noise of a rock stuck in a tire almost. It is only noticable while driving slowly, and can be fairly loud at times. The only time it goes away, is if you are applying the brakes.

BTW... Dana 60 with 35" BFG A/Ts. 6" susp lift w/ 3" body lift. Everything is new, shocks, springs, brakes, etc... Steering is still somewhat loose, but it is tolerable. Noise is present with unlocked hubs.

Suggestions?

Does anyone else smell BFGs burning???
    454/TH400/NP205 - 14BFF/D60/w/ 4.10s
    <a target="_blank" href=http://24.10.209.54/bigolk5.htm>http://24.10.209.54/bigolk5.htm</a> [​IMG]

2. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Jack up the wheel and spin.... You should ba able to tell where it is coming from.
    My guesses:
    -brake assembly ruubbing
    -wheel bearings
    -bent suspension or steering pieces

Check for external rubbing. Check for excessive wheel bearing play. Then remove caliper and remount wheel and spin. Then check bearings visually for wear.

Dave

Saw It... Wanted It... Had A Fit... Got It
    91 K5 - in the process of 4" lift with D60/14FF plus LOTS of extras. ETF August 1.

3. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

It sounds like a spun bearing. I have had some metal rattling noise in the front before and found it to be a bad bearing. Just an idea.

<font color=blue>Daddy told me while learning to pee......"if you shake it more than twice, then you are playing with it!!!"</font color=blue>