Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

D60 Question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by lasvegas, Mar 26, 2001.

1. lasvegas

lasvegas 1/2 ton status

Am starting the install of a Dana 60 into the front end of my Blazer. The Blazer is a 78 which came with a D44. The D60 came from an 88 one-ton. I do not know the correct names for the parts so please bear with me here. But the truck has a 4" lift and I put in a drop part to straighten out the steering parts. The part bolted onto the driver's side end of the axle and the old one stuck straight out but this one curves up. Then I attached the drag link I think it is called to it so it sits level with the axle. Whatever this curved part is called, can I use it on the D60 as well or will I have to get a new one??? Also any help with the anatomical names for these parts instead would be appreciated!!!!

2. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

If you are referring to the thing that bolts on top of the driver side knuckle, then thats the steering arm. It simply holds the draglink in place and allows the turning of the truck.

3. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

The names I use are; off the steering gear that is bolted to the frame canected to a pit-man arm cannected to a draglink (long one and a short) cannected to the steering arm cannnedcted to the knuckle (drivers side of axle). I' don't think a 44 and 60 steering arms are the same, they don't mount up to the knuckle the same way. Check and see, If they are the same, it should be o.k. to use it.

Twiztid

4. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Hey, I didn't think you could get a raised/curved up steering arm for a Dana 60 (someone corret me if I'm wrong). You said you put an arm that curved up. Is it like a "C" that curves up?? Dana 60 comes with a steering arm that (when straight) points toward the pumpkin. And to raise the arm, when you have a lift, you simply remove the steering arm and place a block inbetween it and bolt the steering arm back on with longer bolts. (should be supplied with the raised block). Check and see how many bolts holds your curved steering arm. There should be 4 in this formation ": :" Anyhow, the steering arm is what is connected to knuckle on the axle. Then the "drag link" connects to the arm and then to the "pitman arm" which is on the steering gear box. Good luck.
    Boss

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.boss.coloradok5.com>http://www.boss.coloradok5.com</A>

5. ROCKBUGGYK5

ROCKBUGGYK5 1/2 ton status

nope u cant use it u have to get a steering block for a dana 60

ROCKBUGGY K5 38S LOCKED AND CHOPPED

6. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Reread boss's post. He did say the D60 would use a block.

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

All hail to the "Boss".....[​IMG][​IMG]

Rene

[​IMG]<A target="_blank" HREF=http://jules.coloradok5.com>http://jules.coloradok5.com</A>

8. ROCKBUGGYK5

ROCKBUGGYK5 1/2 ton status

he must have posted right b4 me cause it wasnt there when i posted it anyhow could job boss u beat me to it hehe
    adam

ROCKBUGGY K5 38S LOCKED AND CHOPPED