Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

D60 Questions. Im in the market.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by unick, May 5, 2004.

1. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

WHat years should I look for? I know about the necked down shafts on the pre 85 axles. WHat year are the kingpin axles?

lkmk
    Nick

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

76-on k30 /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crewcab.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

3. Okiemuddog

Okiemuddog 1/2 ton status

IIRC all GM D60's are kingpins /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

4. 81jimmyslt

81jimmyslt 1/2 ton status

All Gm D60's are kingpin, also look for them in military M1008, and v30 vans /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif what year

the military ones usually have low miles great maintenance, 4.56 , and even posi's

Jesse

5. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

If I get a pre 85 d60 can I just put the non necked down shafts in? Or gould I just upgrade to 35 spline shafts?

lmk
    Nick

6. blasterD

blasterD 1/2 ton status

7. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

The neck down shafts were only in the first few years of production .
    I have seen as early as 1979 models with the fat shafts and every 1980 and up model has had the fat ones too.

Yes - you can do a direct swap from skinny shaft to fat shaft if all you can find is an early version with the neck down shafts .

Other than the shafts GM Dana 60 versions 1977 to 1991 are ALL GOOD ! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

You can also shove a dodge D60 (the king pin vesion) in. It does require a few more mods though. But if the price is right it might be worht it. I have this set up in mine and it works great now that all of the bugs are worked out.

9. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

What years were kingpin in Dodges?

NIck

10. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

Dodge used a king-pin 60 up to and including a 1993 year model .
    Not all Dodge Dana 60's are the same like GM versions though . Some had external style hubs where the 1989 to 1993 had internal style hubs just like the GM versions.
    Make DAMN sure that you do not get a Dana 61 Dodge front axle if you ever want to go for some extreme gear !
    The Dodge Dana 60's after 1994 are just plain gay ! Do not even bother with those.
    Good luck , Tom

11. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

I have a '78ish Dodge Dana 60. I don't know if it has the neck down shafts because I haven't had it apart yet, but I'm guessing it does. Shafts from a newer dana 60 are a direct swap.
    also, dodge dana 60's are 2 inches narrower WMS-WMS. I wish i could have gotten a GM 60 so it would be wider and not have these ghey external hubs, but for only $150 I guess I can suffer.

az-k5, what all did you have to mod to put the dodge d60 in? I didn't think it would be that much work to put it in, and I hope its not. But again, $150.

12. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Yes vacum is gay, external 60 hubs are gay, 1/2" studs are gay. The wms-wms is almost even with the rear now (1/2" diff). I use offset wheels so my tires already stick out a lot. The narrower front end helped in my set up. There are 4 things that need to be changed 2 biggest things are pad width, and steering arms.
    Nedded changes:

Wheel studs- most dodge are 1/2" GM is 9/16 just get new GM ones.
    Yoke- dodge yokes are goofey, get a GM yoke or a combo joint
    Steering arm- the dodge arm is nearly imopossible to use, go x-over at the same time or find a GM arm
    Spring pad width- 1/2" is a lot, I welded spacers on my shackles and trimmed my front bushings. AZ kickin make bushings that allow for the difference too.

Those are the only issues I had with mine. GM stuff bolts on just fine. Make sure you get the dodge spring plate as the passenger side pumpkin studs are 9/16" (as are the stock u-bolts) and located differently.
    [edit] I have a kingpin D60 out of a 1990 Dodge 1 ton, no neck 35 spline inners, 4.10's