Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

D60 questions. Need help from the pro's. Read "Article", very confused.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BigOrange90Jimmy, Mar 25, 2003.

1. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

D60 questions. Need help from the pro\'s. Read \"Article\", very confused.

That's right, I read Billa Vista's page on the D60, but I'm extremely confused now. I just stepped into the world of D60's, so any help is great.

I'm looking at using a F*rd RC D60. From what I gather, the knuckles on this particular axle are weak, and the spindles are smaller. Article says I could take a complete knuckle to hub assembly from a Chevy and it would be stronger. What confuses me is the axleshaft issues. Shed some light for me cuz I'm scared to ask at Pirate.

I think I got one answer from that article, but I've come to a new question. The bolt pattern from an older Ford axle will match to a Chevy one right? The only thing keeping me from doing so is the size of the center. Think Daniel could address this, or are the centers of Hummer wheels already larger than a normal Chevy hub?

I want to run a 42" TSL on this, and I thought about using drive flanges. Anything wrong with this? You don't have to include gas mileage because I really don't care. If it became a problem, I could remove the lockout or something and just cap the end of the hub while rolling the highway. In order to use the flanges, I would have to use the Chevy outers right?

I've almost come to the point where it would be easier to do like Stephen did. Just buy the aftermarket Tera 60 center section, then install Chevy axle tubes, outers, and all that great stuff, as opposed to trying to figure out what will work with the Ford RC D60.

2. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Re: D60 questions. Need help from the pro\'s. Read \"Article\", very confused.

I have a 79 Ford HP Dana 60. The knuckles are weaker. And the spindles are smaller. The lug pattern is the same on the older ones. Somewhere in the 90's ford changed to a metric pattern. My hummer wheels fit right on it.

3. BigOrange90Jimmy

So in your opinion, would it be better to find Chevy axletubes and outers and buy the Tera 60 center section, or play around and mix and match parts? The center section itself is a grand, but maybe I will be able to find it cheaper.

4. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

i think if money isnt really that big of a deal then go with the Tera 60...... 78-79 ford d60s are worth more money and harder to find. (atleast around here) then a chev d60 since they were only made for 2 years. Tera 60 pumpkins are High pinion right? buy a tera 60 HP pumpkin, get Ford Gears stuffed in there, and put chev tubes on it....

5. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

I would just use the Ford one until any of the weaknesses show themselves, you will have to push pretty hard to find them IMO
    the spindles are 'shorter', your use of 'smaller' makes it sound like they are less diameter

6. BigOrange90Jimmy

Yeah, all of the Tera 60's are hi pinion. I want to use it or the Ford 60 for driveshaft issues. According to that article, the Ford 60 I need is a 78-79 and 88-91.5. Anything after that uses balljoints. Money is an issue, but I'm thinking in the long run it will be equal to anything else.

m j, you're right on that spindle. It is shorter instead of smaller like I was saying.

7. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Yeah, just run it, you'll likely never see the problems (as such) unless you run high horse, beat it to death, and add hydro steering with high-steer. Also, IIRC, you don't have to swap the tubes or "c"s, just the outers (knuckle, spindle, stubs, etc?)... The exact info should be in Billavista's article.

8. BigOrange90Jimmy

I'll be using a diesel and a Doubler with 5.13's and 42's. I think I'll be needing the hydro steer. I don't know about the high-steer though. I don't really like the idea of putting that much strain on the top of the knuckle. If push comes to shove, I'll just get some of Welderboy's, Rockstomper's, or WMS's knuckles.