Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

D60 rear verus 14bolt?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 88jimmyoungowner, Aug 27, 2002.

1. 88jimmyoungowner

88jimmyoungowner 1/2 ton status

what are the advantages versus disadvantages? i know that i will not find a direct bolt on D60. i cant get a permanent locker for a 14 bolt due to my dad not allowing it to happen. i am thinking about a D60 becasue of the ox locker and the ARB both being available for them. is this a good idea or am i just dumb? thaks

2. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Dana 60 has a slightly smaller housing, better locker selections (for now), and that's about all i know of. 14 bolt has a bigger ring gear, larger axle shafts, and are dirt cheap. Dana 60 lockers are more expensive. If your dad is going to pay for an ARB or an OX, tell him to send me some money for a Detroit in my 14 bolt.

3. 83PJW

83PJW 1/2 ton status

also the reason went with a 14 bolt is... theres a character on here that sell disc brake conversion parts really cheap, and i couldnt find any conversion brackets for the 60. heres some food for thought have you ever seen after market replacement 14 bolt axle shafts?????? me niether!

4. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

good call 83PJW. the only place i've seen replacements is in the junkyard or for sale on here.

5. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

14 bolt is stronger axle.just not much selection for lockers yet though.real cheaply had though.got my 14ff for 150

6. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

There is no comparison between the two.

14FF's are more compared to the D70 instead since they both share an almost identical ring gear diameter of 10.5" with the D70 having a 10.54", beating the 14FF by .04". /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

7. lizard

lizard 1/2 ton status

14-bolt is limited to 5.13 gears so if you gonna run anything larger than 38-39.5 you need a 60 or 70 for the deeper gears.

8. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    14-bolt is limited to 5.13 gears so if you gonna run anything larger than 38-39.5 you need a 60 or 70 for the deeper gears.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats what a doubler is for /forums/images/icons/wink.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

Besides, he is only 16 and probably cant afford tires bigger than 35"-36", and when he can he can sneak a locker in the 14 bolt /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif .

9. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Actually there is one company I know of that sells aftermarket axles for the 14ff. It is Moser. I agree though that the 14 bolt is better unless like previously mentioned if you need steeper than 5.13's.

10. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

Try a search on this and a search on a Dana 70 vs 14 bolt comparison.

Ken H.

11. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

The advantages of a D60 that I know of, are its lighter, better gear and locker selection, better clearance. Disadvanteges would be the initial cost, not as strong, replacement parts more costly. There is a guy around here who runs 44" boggers in the mud with a Detroit and 4.56 gears. He has never broken it.

So I guess your choice would depend on what you could get for what kind of deal.

12. mercercadet

mercercadet 1/2 ton status

Look at it this way, the 14 bolt was a direct GM application, which means that there are a million parts everywhere for it. I know the dana 60 is fav. among people who like the ground clearance and what not, but basically your paying more for a little ground clearance and reduced stregnth. As for the locker issue, why is your dad opposed to you running a locker? street manners really don't change that much, though you might eat tires a little faster. Oh well, good luck on your build up. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

kyle

13. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

You were 16 when you came on here, right? So your about 17 now? That means you'll be out of the house in a year? Don't sweat dad, leave it open for a year and then put a Detroit in the thing.

14. 88jimmyoungowner

88jimmyoungowner 1/2 ton status

he believes that it will tear up things more easily. i want a full locker, so if i cant get a detriot, then i want an ARB or OX locker. i dont think that the eaton e locker wil be out soon. limited slips are not that geat really becasue thet have to be i nthe exact conditions that are required to engage it or else it wont engage at all. i want to leave the front open for now, and maybe add something way down the road, but we want to put 38's on the 81 as soon as the 35's wear out, which is real soon. if we run tires that large, then i need a stronger rear axle than a 12 bolt. it boils down to whether i shouold just wait and see if there ever is a 14 bolt selectable or jsut get a 60 or 70(there is an ARB for it i think) and have tracion now.

15. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

whats he think its will tear up? the axle that its in isnt going to go bad /forums/images/icons/cool.gif but if you drive like an azz or make a lot of uphill right turns...then you may wipe tires a bit sooner. and as for snow...im dreading this winter
    ryan

16. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

the initial cost and replacement costs should be no more if not less then a 14ff

17. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

The only thing its gonna tear up is the tires... and the truck if you get stupid in the rain or snow in a turn...

Sounds like you have the right general perspective on all this. Just give him the options with all the prices and pro's and con's and let him boil on it for a week or 2 then see if he hasn't backed down of his position with the locker. But like whoever said above....Get the 14 bolt now(open) then later on when its not his decision...then install the Detroit locker. The detroit for the 14 is the cheapest one to get.... Nothing really to think about in my opinion... /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

18. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

With a full size, they are not that bad in the winter.

Ken H.

19. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Not where I live. A dana 60 rear is much more expensive.

20. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

ff14b pros: tough as hell, cheap, cheap lockers/easy 2 weld.
    ff14b cons: rock anchor, limited gear ratio selection, limited # of aftermarket lockers.

d60 pros: lil more ground clearance, tons of gear ratios, lots of lockers.
    d60 cons: weaker axle (compared to a 14!), $pendy lockers, more spendy axle.

If you EVER plan on running below 5.13 gears, then the d60/70 is ur best best, since they go way way low and 5.13 is as low as u can get with a ff14. If u plan on lowering your ratio elsewhere (doubler or whatever) then by all means get a ff14b, shave the housing, bolt her in and ROLL! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

J