Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

D60 Rebuild Questions - First Obsticle

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by randy88k5, Aug 23, 2005.

1. randy88k5

randy88k5 1/2 ton status

Well, I got a D60, and am just starting to rebuild it when I ran into my first problem.

I cannot seem to get the small gear out, the one that fits onto the outer stub shaft that engages with the lockout hub. There was very little grease in the hub, and the gear seems to be stuck on the shaft. This prevents me from getting to the spindle retaining nut, and everything behind it...

I removed the whole spindle by disconnecting the kingpins, and I thought I could beat the shaft out the back. It does not want to move. Is there something holding it in (besides the snap ring I took off that holds the gear to the shaft)???

I want to do this without heat, as I believe that will ruin the shaft. I dont have or have time to get a replacement.

Once this is done, I will start the rebuild, with ARB locker and 4.56s. Ill probably need help setting the stuff up, as this is my first time doing diff stuff. Thanks for looking...

2. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

if it was hard core use before it might have twisted the splines in the hub unit. and some have a c clip on the end.

3. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

did you take the small snap ring off of the end of the stub shaft and the snap ring that holds the hub lock into the hub? There should be no "beating" involved with removing a hublock and hub from the spindle.

4. randy88k5

randy88k5 1/2 ton status

Yeah, that was the first thing done. I dont believed it was wheeled, but I do think it ran a plow. I cant tell if its twisted, but it does not want to pass the flat portion where the snap ring was. It doesnt move forward at all, like I can just put the snap ring back in if I wanted.

Where would this c-clip be located, can I see it from either side of the hub?

5. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

The C-Clip is around the stub shaft itself and it pulls the stub shaft tight against the seal inside the knuckle. It is right on the end of the stub shaft when you take the lock operator off of the hub. The other snap ring I was referring to goes around a groove in the hub and is what acutally keeps the lock from falling out of the hub. When you bolt the operator to the hub it gets pulled tight against the snap ring and seals the outer portion of the hub.

6. randy88k5

randy88k5 1/2 ton status

OK, I misunderstood. Yes, both the large and small snap rings are off. I can move the whole axle assembly (long shaft and stub shaft) in and out about 1/8" while in the hub. The only thing I can see holding it on is the friction created by the gear on the stub shaft. Im about to take a wooden block and a sledgehammer to it. As I can see it, there is nothing else mechanical holding that shaft in there, right????

Thanks for the quick help guys...

7. sweetk30

wack it good and see what happens. :D

8. randy88k5

randy88k5 1/2 ton status

Well, it took a 8lb sledge, a good 30 whacks and several pieces of oak, but we got it through. Couldnt see what the problem was though. I took the gear from the other side that came off easy, and it slid on without too much effort. The gear I just pouneded off fits over and slides with some effort. I guess it was just lack of grease.

Thanks, but I will probably need help again tomarrow, thats when Ill be tearing into the guts.

Thanks in advance...

9. sweetk30

need to wash it all off good and look for cracks and twisted splines. then get file and clean up any areas that look like thay could catch the splines. good luck.