Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

D60-removing spindle bearings and pinion seal?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by destinbeachman, Nov 10, 2006.

1. destinbeachman

destinbeachman 1/2 ton status

Still working on the rebuild and getting parts together.Got some questions though.I did a search but couldn't find anything on the best way to remove the spindle needle bearings.Will I have to make a tool with a dogleg in the end of it or something similar to get in behind them?Is there a easier way?
    And the diff is fine(open 4.10 for now)but I need to pull and replace the pinion seal.Besides the difficulty of finding a 1 5/16 socket that is thinwall enough to get on it and drilling out a piece of angle iron to hold the yoke while I break it loose,I need info on wether or not removing the nut and yoke will change the preload on the bearings.Will simply replacing the goods and bolting her back up screw up the setup?I find tons of stuff using search about setting one up but am not sure about just removing the yoke and seal.Thanks-Allen:bow:

2. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

The D60 uses shims instead of a crush sleeve so you should be ok taking it off and replacing the seal. I bought the huge socket at Sears and put it on the grinder to make my own custom "thin" wall socket.

I used a prybar and a hammer to pound the spindle bearings out.

3. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

That's the easiest way, find a large screwdriver and heat/bend the last inch or two. Lisle Tools used to make a specific tool for this but I think they disco'd it.