Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

D60 rotors are BEEFY!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 84_Chevy_K10, Feb 27, 2004.

1. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I was going to replace my rotors, but the machine to limit on them is 1.230". Mine were at 1.380!! You never get that kind of material to potentially turn off. I bet I can turn them 2-3 times more before they're out of spec!

Why can't they make anything like they used to??? I turn rotors all day, typically the OE rotors will have maybe one turn in them and they're done, .020" or so is all you get. .150" is unheard of!!

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

yea when i did brakes on my bosses car (ex cop crown vic) he was kinda pissed that he needed new rotors on all 4 corners /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

what does a d60 rotor go for anyway?

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

About $50 for the average joe for rotor only, no bearing hub included.

4. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

So you can spend more time and money on thin rotors that warp easily and needs to be thrown away.-

Tell THAT to the eco nazi's who believe that these "new" things are better- I dont get how a 10 lb disposible rotor is less wasteful than a 30 lb rotor than can be used 5x the life before being discarded as a 10 lb rotor.

Recylcing smickling- still takes energy to recycle as well.

5. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've got a pair of brand new rotors in the garage that I paid $150 for both from Car Quest.

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've got a pair of brand new rotors in the garage that I paid $150 for both from Car Quest.

[/ QUOTE ]

Damn. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

7. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

I just paid $129 from AutoZone. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

8. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

I can get the cheapie rotors through work (NAPA) for $35 a piece. the good UP rotors that are made in the US though are $69 a piece.

Cood thing the calipers are CHEAP!

Chris

9. fortcollinsram

Thought I am not supporting the tree-hugging faction there is a reason they are so small and light. Unsprung weight...less of it and it is easier to control the wheel and less weight overall means you can get away with less power.My girls Civic has 80,000 miles on it and has yet to need the rotors turned or replace(just a set of pads at 50,000 but the rotors were in mint condition...

its all relative...but I would rather have the big azz rotors on my truck that will actually stop it..

Chris

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

IMO there is no reason that at any time pads should be replaced without turning or replacing the rotors. You might have thought they were fine but that simply isn't the case in any of my experiences.

In the past I've done that but from now on, I'm going to have my rotors turned/replaced every time.

Since we're on the topic of rotors always make sure that you get premium rotors that are made in the USA. You really do get a better quality product and you support American business. /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. fortcollinsram

Well I took them to get turned and the machine shop said "hell they don't need it"...They had run-out of less than .0005" and were flat as a board. Beside unless you are using hard-azz Ceramic pads, regualr pads will conform to irregularites pretty quickly...The machine shop just ran a finishing stone over them to get any excess glaze off...

I agree on the rotors though, USA stell is better than that other crap..I have USA rotors on the front and cheapies on the rear 14bff and the ones in that back are crap....

12. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

"Regular" pads nowadays are ceramic. 80% or more of O.E. applications are Ceramic on these newer cars.

In my experience, even semi metallic pads can eat into the rotors quite a bit.

If he took the glaze off, that's usually all that is required if you don't have any drastic wear. That's what I'll usually do if you get a set that is nice and straight. It still usually requires taking off a total of .004" or so just to achieve that.

13. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

*shrug*. around here its 15-25 bucks to turn each rotor.

Autozone has lifetime brake pade warranty.

hence, every two years, I will simply go and replace the brake pads, and use the rotor until they are all gone. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Then buy a new set of rotors for 5-80 bucks after 6 years. Still cheaper than getting them turned.