Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

D60: Seals behind the spindle

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by nvrenuf, Mar 7, 2002.

1. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

I'm having an on going problem of water getting into my front hubs. I need your suggestions and help to make sure I'm putting this together correctly.

I repacked my front bearings in Sept. using new wheel seals and I put a small bead of RTV (in addition to the original o-ring) on the locking hub cap to help create a good seal between the bearing hub and the locking hub cap. My problem is that now the snap rings, locking hub mechanism and axle are either corroded or rusty. All of these parts were in clean / excellent shape when I put it together. Due to transmission failure the truck has been in the mud only twice (only sat stuck in the mud once for approx. 15 minutes) and has been sitting most of the last 4 months.

I'm thinking that the water must be getting in through the seals between the spindle and axle shaft or coming in around the knob on the locking hub.

1) How likely do you think it would be for it to come in around the knob?

2) Just to make sure I'm doing it correctly, how do you install the seals behind the spindle? Which side pointing out? Do you put a little grease on them to keep them soft?

Thanks in advance for all the help!!

2. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Anybody.....?

3. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.gohumvee.com/images/Tech/Dana%2060%20HTML/Image19>http://www.gohumvee.com/images/Tech/Dana%2060%20HTML/Image19</a>

sorry I wasnt 100% so i just lookie loo'd and carried on
    I havent had a water infiltration problem
    I would look to the same areas you are doing

4. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

and yes i always give seal surfaces a bit of grease
    doubt it makes a difference as it will dry in short time and when still greasy will hold grit but i still do it