Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

D60 shaft breakage causes...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bigjbear, Mar 18, 2004.

1. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

I've seen what happens when a D44/10B shaft or u-joint lets go. Sometimes the damage is minamal but if one does not stop *quickly* things get torn up in a big way. My "?" is if one were to snap a D60 shaft at the u-joint area how much related damage is likely? Are the king-pins at risk or is the damage normally limited to shafts & joint?

2. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I've seen what happens when a D44/10B shaft or u-joint lets go. Sometimes the damage is minamal but if one does not stop *quickly* things get torn up in a big way. My "?" is if one were to snap a D60 shaft at the u-joint area how much related damage is likely? Are the king-pins at risk or is the damage normally limited to shafts & joint?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's all about how you break it and how long you keep going.
    You could take out a lot on your way.
    The best policy is to feel when, if you break, and stop right there and assess the damage and fix it.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I stopped immediately. Lost a nearly brand new Spicer inner, outer, life series forged joint, dust shields, seals, and spindle bearing. I think the spindle itself is ok.

I've also seen people take out the knuckle and spindle, but that's usually when they keep going on it. The king pins and end forging should genearlly be ok. Though it could conceivably be damaged in some cases, I don't recall hearing about any...

[​IMG]

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I saw two U-joint/shaft type breaks the same day when we were in Moab. FWP on the optional exit at Lower Hell, and 73K5Tony right after 'break-over' on Upper Hell. Fred lost a Spicer U-joint with no other damage...and he was getting on it pretty hard when it went.

Tony snapped a shaft when he got one of his 44's hard under a ledge. Can't remember if it was the stub or the shaft itself though.

Neither break took anything else with it...I think Russ just has a particular talent. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Rene

5. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

SOL again, nuff said... /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

Although it might have had something to do with double low and 42s combined with trying to scoot the front end over on a 6' vertical water fall in front drive trying to save the badly bent passenger rear spring from giving away completely... /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif