Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

D60 spindle bearings

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bayou blazer, Jul 10, 2005.

1. bayou blazer

bayou blazer 1/2 ton status

I was wondering if there was any trick on getting these bearing out of the spindle. I can't get a punch at a good enough angle through the outside end of the spindle and the bearing won't move. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks.

2. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

I know which one you're talking about, but I can't remember exactly how I got it out ... it wasn't fun though. I think I used one of those Craftsman bering remover / pry bar tools, you know the one with the long slim arm? I think I might have ground the tip down a bit for a better angle to slip knock the bering out.

That probably doesn't help much :(

Good luck,

Eric M.

3. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

to get them out you can do a few things...Get a small internal bearing puller that will work on a slide hammer. Then mount the splinde on the knuckle BACKWARDS (so the knuckle will hold the spindle) and hammer away.

In the past I have also taken some square stock and ground a notch in it to clear the "lip" inside the spindle

Chris

4. Zeitler

Zeitler Registered Member

the only thing that worked for me was taking a long bolt put on 2 nuts with a big washer inbetween the nuts...

the washer should be pretty thick , 1/4" or so or it could bend..

had both bearings out after less then 5 minutes ..

by the way how do i install the new ones without damaging them?

5. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

I have a special tool to do it that used to be sold by Lisle Tools but I think it's now discontinued.

I have seen a lot of people take a large screw driver and heat / bend the last couple of inches to a 45* angle. Once cool & ready to use, insert the screw driver into the spindle from the outboard end, catch the inner shoulder of the bearing and hammer away (not too hard or you'll kill the screw driver handle).

6. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

heat...

Most shops that have any truobles with bearings that are seized or stuck to a spindle use a cutting torch to get them off/out...they burn like 4th of july sparklers,and burn faster than the steel hubs they go into..a quick pull of the trigger cuts a slot in the bearing shell,and it comes right out with little effort..I've seen guys remove pinion bearing cups from a rear axle housing by running 3 beads of weld on the cup with an arc welder--once it cools off,they slide right out with your fingers or a pick easily(have to be careful not to weld the housing though--it takes a bit of skill and good eyesight)...

I put some rather hard to install needle bearings similar to the spindle bearings you speak of in a lawn tractor transaxle once..I ruined one trying to drive it in with a bearing driver and a hammer..when I went back to the parts place,the guy told me to put the bearing in the freezer for a few hours,and put iit in quickly without handling it for too long..I left the transaxle out in the hot sun--I ran out with the "frozen" bearing in a bowl of crushed ice,and it slid right in --almost too easy!..wish I'd done that the first time!--those bearings were 15 bucks each! :doah: :crazy:

7. bayou blazer

bayou blazer 1/2 ton status

Thanks for all the ideas. I think I can get it using some of them.