Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

D60 spindle nuts and odd locking hubs

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by RedBrute, Apr 4, 2007.

1. RedBrute

RedBrute 1/2 ton status

Just got done helping my son strip down his '83 D60. The spindle nuts had four slots instead of 6... couldn't use the socket I had and a D44/10B socket has four tangs but is too small. Anybody ever see this before? Also the locking hubs are "powertrain" brand, pretty solid looking units but I've never seen the like before. Anybody ever hear of this brand?

2. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

hay there buddy.

those are the newer style nuts. better style to have.

thay make a socket for them.

as for the hubs prob a off brand style.

if you need any spicer / dana parts look up nowparts on ebay. i have been dealing with them for a few years now. cant beat thare prices realy. even dealer ships buy from them. thay are realy thinking of being a vender on here to sell parts to ck5 people.

comon trick some guys do is dana 60 nuts like you have swaped in to the 14ff rear. 1 socket and easyer to fix on the trail. same spindle thread size.

3. RedBrute

RedBrute 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the quick reply. My son is going to check with the Snap-On dude tomorrow at work to see about a socket. I'll tell him about the nuts. Seems like new nuts would be cheaper than a new tool. Hmm, that last sentence doesn't sound right... anyway yesterday we stripped down his 14bolt ('93 model) and the spindle nuts are the same as my D60 socket. Seems like a good idea for front to match rear but he's young and likes buying tools, I'm old and like buying beer.

4. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

No D44/10 bolt socket will fit a D60 nut. The D60 uses a larger nut. There were two styles as you've already found out. Also just for reference, a D60 uses the same wheel bearings as a 14ff axle.

5. ccatlett1984

ccatlett1984 1/2 ton status

Thats what he is saying.

6. jays68yak

jays68yak 1/2 ton status

Same bearings, races, spindle nuts. I confirmed this over the weekend when I put some 14bff parts in my 60 to get it back together. This info was very useful. Thanks Scott.