Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

D60 spring bolts... red lock tight, blue loc tight or lock washers?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by dawson444, Sep 16, 2002.

1. dawson444

dawson444 1/2 ton status

On my D60 spring bolts should I use red loc tight, blue loc tight, lock washer or nothing? Also what should I torque them to? Thanks!

2. 86K5TrailBlazer

86K5TrailBlazer 1/2 ton status

i use blue loctite and flat washer /forums/images/icons/wink.gif torque i think 180

3. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

never use red
    I would say nothing as you have to retorque them

4. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

WOW!!! /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif 180 ft. lbs.?!?!

Which "spring bolts" are we talking about here? The u-bolts or the frame/shackle bolts?

5. Impex

Impex 1/2 ton status

MJ: how come never use red loc tight?

6. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

If it is applied correctly you will have to heat red-loctite up and melt it, so you can remove the bolt.

Usually red-loctite is used on reciprocating mass in engines.

7. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Instead of bolts on the passenger side pumpkin, use studs. Torque is 150 lb/ft from all the info that has been posted on here...........no lock washers, no loc-tite of any kind is needed, just re-torque them a couple of times after the install and you are good to go.

8. Mr.Chevy4x4

Mr.Chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

Another good tip is to fill the void between the housing and the spring plate caused by the thicker spring pack of lift springs. You can fab a spacer out of steel, or if you don't have the equipment to fab this up you can use some hardened washers to provide some stability. I believe that the instability caused by this void is the main reason people break the bolts off in the housing. I fabbed a spacer out of 1/2 inch steel, but I am about to have to make a new one because I am going to add a set of ORD zero rates. Hope this helps.

Mike

9. BOWTIE

BOWTIE 1/2 ton status

could you post a pic of that spacer?? i recently had my bolts break and was thinking of adding some kind of spacer.

the reason i think mine broke was my spring pack had a degree shim that didn't allow the spring plate to sit level.

i removed the shim and at the same time removed the bottom leaf, so the gap that i have is less that an inch.

i would just hate to go through all the repair all over again.

ric

10. Mr.Chevy4x4

Mr.Chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

I don't have a pic, and if I took one now you really couldn't see anything but the end of it. I am running 6 inch Tuff Country ez-rides and my spacer requirements were 1/2 inch thick by 1.5 inches wide by 5 inches long. the width and length will remain consistent and only the thickness will change. I didn't have a drill bit big enough for the bolt holes so I drilled a smaller hole and blew the rest out with the "blue wrench"! It is extremely easy to fab! Hope this helps!

Mike