Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

D60 spring plates...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jekbrown, Apr 24, 2002.

1. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I know these things sell for a surprising amount of $$$ on ebay and stuff... would it be soooo hard to make a pair? I mean, a piece of 3/8" plate, with holes drilled in the right places for the u-bolts and a hole in the center for the spring pack center pin... and you're good right? Maybe grind down the corners that the spring would rub against nice and round-like?

I dunno... doesnt seem that complicated, am I missing something? and if not, why are people spending lots of ca$h for rusty old factory ones?

J

2. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

I know what you mean by the eBay guys paying out of the ass for those plates!! /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

I have a pair of brand spanking new ones that I paid $70 for the pair, from GM. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

Thought about putting them on eBay and letting everyone know they are brand new to see what kind of price I can get out of them. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

3. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

A few guys on Pirate made their own out of 1/2" stock.............simple. Especially if you are not concerned about sway bar usage.

4. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

Do just as you said, and make them yourself.

Ken H.

5. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Even if you wanted sway bar connects it shouldn't be too hard to make (just be a little more $$ as you would have to start with thicker stock). A machinist could mill that in no time flat. Most guys around here with a milling machine with do it for a six-pack. Basically cutting the pieces to shape, drilling four holes in each for the u-bolts/studs and drilling and tapping a hole in each for the sway bar. Some careful measurements before hand will come in handy or if you can "find" a spare set to copy they can be done fairly (I know it's relative) easy. Although considering the hassle if you don't know anybody $70 isn't bad if that's the dealer price.

6. SilverJim

SilverJim 1/2 ton status

Anyone know the GM part #?

7. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

cool, thanks for the responses guys. I'm done running a anti-sway bar... so no worries there. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif Guess I'll just measure them spring bolt holes and have a pair made up...

J