Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

D60 swap...few questions

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by blzr4x4ngkid2, Nov 12, 2003.

1. blzr4x4ngkid2

blzr4x4ngkid2 Registered Member

I think I found a D60 in great condition for $400. If it is what they say it is, then I'm going to buy it. I am about ready to go look at it. I was just curious about the swap process here. Are the U-bolts on the 60 bigger than the 8-lug 10bolt? What about wheel clearance, other than some grinding, is there going to be problems running my 15x10s? I mean grinding with a grinder here boyz. haha Will my current brake calipers work as well? I think I'll be ok, but I just want to make sure. I'm going to have this axle and my current 14FF rebuilt with 5.13s to complement the 39" Boggers. Thanks!

2. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Make sure it is a D60 and not the older D44 with the larger hubs. Check out some pics on the site and print them off to take to the axle you are looking at and compare them.

U-bolts are completely different. They are larger on the D60. There are only 3 u-bolts and 2 studs or bolts which bolt into the pumpkin housing. If you have the 1" zero-rates still bolted to the front springs, you should get new u-bolts made at any local spring shop as most aftermarket u-bolts are too short and will not give enough threads for the nuts to sit properly.

If your 15x10 wheels have 3.5" backspacing or less, you will have very minimal grinding. Anything more than 3.5" and you will be looking at using a large disc grinder and lots of work.

Brake calipers will not work from 10 to 60 because the 60 calipers are way larger and different. You can reuse the same brake line and the banjo bolt though. Just have to re-bleed the lines again.

Sounds like a good score for $400. Gonna make a day and night difference once you get it in the truck. Be aware for that amount of lift you have, you will need crossover steering because the setup you have won't work on the D60 and most D60's don't have much options for stock type steering. Crossover is the way to go. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. ramjet gmc

ramjet gmc CK5 Staff Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

What size are the u bolts exactly, Wes? What size thread are the two bolts and what size head to they have? I'm thinking they're fine thread 5/8" but I'm not for sure, I haven't go the chance to tear mine apart yet.

5. thatK30guy

The driver side u-bolts (2 of them) are 3 1/4" i.d. round bend by however long you need.

The passenger side u-bolt (only 1) is a 4" i.d. by however long you need.

The studs, or bolts, to fit in the pumpkin housing (2 required) are 5/8" coarse thread into the housing if you use grade 8 bolts, and if you use studs, the tops of the threads should be fine thread, same size at 5/8". /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

So what size huge 6 point socket do i need to remove them? 1/2" bolts have a 3/4 in head, so I'm guessing 7/8" is what takes them out?

7. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    U-bolts are completely different. They are larger on the D60. There are only 3 u-bolts and 2 studs or bolts which bolt into the pumpkin housing. If you have the 1" zero-rates still bolted to the front springs, you should get new u-bolts made at any local spring shop as most aftermarket u-bolts are too short and will not give enough threads for the nuts to sit properly.

[/ QUOTE ]

I got u-bolts and studs from trailmaster or superlift (forgot) and they were TOO long... I actually have to add a zero rate to take up some of the slack... maybe even an add a leaf or some washers on the studs... /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

8. thatK30guy

Yeah, I know about Superlift since I've got those on my '88 V30 rolling chassis and it has 6" springs with 1" zero-rates. The u-bolts are fine but the studs are almost too short. Once I get new zero-rates made with the degree milled into them, I should have more thread contact.

I was just letting Alex know about his springs and zero-rates because I sold those to him. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

9. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    So what size huge 6 point socket do i need to remove them? 1/2" bolts have a 3/4 in head, so I'm guessing 7/8" is what takes them out?

[/ QUOTE ]

15/16" for the stock u-bolts and bolts.

10. thatK30guy

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

15/16" for the stock u-bolts and bolts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, I agree here.....15/16" socket does the trick! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif