Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

D60 swap question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by txfiremank5, Jul 29, 2004.

1. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

I'm looking at a D60 that came out of a 91 Dodge 1 ton. It's been rebuilt, and is pretty much ready to go. The qeustion I have, is there any reason it would not make a good candidate for a swap? Would I have any more trouble with the swap than if it had come out of a chevy truck? I'm thinking that it would not, but thought I'd better ask someone who prolly knows more about it than I. Thanks in advance folks.

By the way, it's a front axle I'm speaking of.

2. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Will it be harder than a rebuilt GM 60, yes, but only minor stuff. I have a '90 dodge 60 in mine. I'll give you an idea of what needs changing and then the highlights of a dodge 60. I am assuming it has gears you want or have.

Steering- dodge arms won't work well with GM drag links. By GM 60 stuff or go x-over.
    Yokes- dodge uses its own version of u-joints get a 1310 or 1350 GM style and bolt it back in or find the conversion joint.
    Brakes- dodge uses a center drop line, you can just scrap it and use normal 10 bolt brake lines, or modify it and run the center drop.
    Spring pearches- the dodge is 1/2" wider pin to pin. you can spread the springs (rough riding) or buy/make offset busings (az-kickin has some for this swap).
    Wheel studs- dodge uses 1/2" studs, GM 3/4-1 ton use 9/16. Run two different styles of lugs, or just change the studs.

Those are the only changes that are really needed IIRC. Get the u-bolts and plates cause dodge uses 9/16" not 5/8" u-bolts. The dodge axle is almost the same width as the GM 14B so my track width matches now. The newer (85 or so and up) dodges have the no neck 35 spline shafts and renamed warn hubs.

If you have any more questions on the swap just PM me and I will try to help.

3. txfiremank5

well, that does not sound too bad. I really doubt he has the plates & U bolts though. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif He didn't mention it if he does. Guess that's something else to hunt for.. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif we'll see what heppens. thanks for the info. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. txfiremank5

well, that does not sound too bad. I really doubt he has the plates & U bolts though. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif He didn't mention it if he does. Guess that's something else to hunt for.. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif we'll see what heppens. thanks for the info. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. txfiremank5

Well, he sold it so I won't need to mess with the dodge differences... I'm looking at a GM now. Unfortunatly this ones not rebuilt, but oh well. Thaks again for the help. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif