Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

D60 top shim vs. milled plate

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by perp, Aug 9, 2005.

1. perp

perp 1/2 ton status

I did some searching and found some info, but nothing difinitive. is there a real advantage to having a top plate milled as opposed to running a reversed shim on top of your D60 passanger side spring? What are some pro/cons I should contemplate? Also if you like the shim, would you use an alum shim? Bolt it to leafs or not with center pin? or steel? or steel welded to bottom side of ubolt plate?
    I know I need something to even out the loads on the studs, just not sure which idea is better. I can afford the milling, so not looking for cheap way out, just thinking removing any material from the top plate sounds like it is asking for it.

2. perp

perp 1/2 ton status

Two days and 40 views later, nobody has anything to say? did i post this question in the wrong place, I figured it was too basic for the C O G forum?

3. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

I run a tapered zero and a tapered top plate, never had any problems. I would stay away from the aluminum shims, they are known to crack in half and fall out\slide out. Go here for steel shims www.jkwoffroad.com, they bolt to the spring pack; he is a member here too. As for using a shim under the spring plate, I don't see a problem running one. I didn't because I did not have the spring plates in the first place, so it was easier to just get a tapered plate made..