Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

D60 TRaction aid?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by chiefheaphy, Apr 25, 2007.

1. chiefheaphy

chiefheaphy 1/2 ton status

Does anyone run or know the powerlock traction aid? THey are a bit cheaper and supposedly "less violent" than the detroit. I'm building a 90% trail rig on either 44" or 46"'s. Should I just go with the Detroit Locker or is the Power lock worth the money($400)?

2. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

2 sides to it..

i went with the powertrax, im running 42's and a big block in a buggy with chromo shafts and flanges

in a set up with bigger tires I would do the detroit..but your shafts will be in danger in sure!

3. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

A powerlock is not a locker, its a limited slip.

Why are you worried about "violent" engagement with a basically trail only rig? Any mechanical locker will be locked up all the time when you are in 4 low.

Even if you have chromoly shafts and u-joints you will have trouble with gears and lockers breaking. A spool, detroit or ARB are really your only options IMO (they are listed in order of strength).

4. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

I have a regular limited slip and it sucks. I hate it. No traction on rocks at all...once one tire starts to slip then it takes a big dump right on your face. I heard a Power locker is not as lame as a regualr limited slip but I wouldn't chance it. Buy a detroit, ARB, OX lunch box locker...etc etc. etc Spend the money 1 time instead of twice.

5. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

DETROIT

and get chromo shafts or say bye bye with a built motor and a heavy right foot with 44's-46's

6. 1977k5

I would not even consider a lunchbox locker with 40" tires or bigger, the stock cast carrier will not hold up to it.

7. 1977k5

Anyone would be lucky to get a 60 to hold up to 46's regardless of horsepower

8. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

very true. im just saying that chromos would make it more likely that they would survive for a little:D

9. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

Do you have any examples of a stock carrier breaking, any real life info. I would like more details as I was considering an aussie when they come out in 2050

10. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I would personally do a Detroit. I have seen a lockright (by powertrax) brake with 42" tires and I have seen one live a long life with 40" tires. It is a crap shoot but with anything over 40" I would highly recommend a Detroit. I am not a fan of spools in the front & I am not a fan of ARB's therefore I am saying Detroit all the way. They are strong & reliable.

Harley

11. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Posi = limited slip = limited traction :p:

My buddy had a Powr-Lok in his D80 Dodge. It would still let loose on deteriorated/deactivated logging roads (not rockcrawling by any means) so we found an open diff and got a Lockright for it.

Traction is now as it should be. We figured the Lockright is cheap enough that nobody's going be crying if it don't last as long as a Detroit. Same reason I put one in my D60 front. (Detroit later if it expires). No more limited slip/traction for me thanks.

12. Mudstud

Mudstud 1/2 ton status

Isn't it true that with a detroit- or most any locker, if you break a shaft the sudden jarring will exploded the locker? I likely won't ever have $650 for a detroit so I'm considering welding it.

13. mo

mo 1/2 ton status

What kind of trails are you running with a 24" lift?

14. chiefheaphy

trails

Mud, hills. Shallow Lakes/seas. Beach

Prob not a lot of rock crwlin. I'll build another one for that.

Since I was about 8 I've had a picture of this big bad blazer in my head so I have to build it so I can see it for real. Functionality will come with the next one.

Ive got 4340 35 spliners. Sounds like Detroits front and rear is the way to go.

Now im leanin to 44" boggers.

15. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

I've read about that quite a bit on Pirate. Haven't seen it for myself, but that would really suck! I've got a detroit in my 60 but I haven't really used it yet :haha:

16. Mudstud

Mudstud 1/2 ton status

You just didn't realize you were using it cuz you cruise over everything.:wink1:

17. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I have snapped 3 GM 10 bolt front axles and have not broken my lockright yet. A lockright is weaker then a Detroit so I would not be to worried about breaking the Detroit.

Chromo shafts in a D60 puts the axle breakage at a guess at best. If you have locking hubs it will be those most likely. If you have slugs then it is a gamble on whether it will be an axle, locker, R&P, or yoke.

Harley

18. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

Word, I went through about 5 shafts/ujoint failures and 1 lockout with my lockright and 10b(reason for the upgrade lol). Lockright held up fine. It didn't take much to pop those 10b shafts though.

Now I've got Yukon 35 sp outers and slugs in the detroited 60. Hopefully I don't find the weak link for a while. D60 parts are spendy:laugh:

19. chiefheaphy

gears

what would be a good ratio to go with?

i'm thinking somewhere in the 5.38 -- 5.86 range.

ive got a bored 350(probably will go with a 454 down the road), sm465, 205.

With 24" lift and 44 or 46 I can't see myself doin much more than 55mph.

How difficult is it to install gears and locker?

20. Mudstud

Mudstud 1/2 ton status

If you have a 70 rear I would go with the deepest gear.