Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

d60, who rund tierod above AND behind?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BamBamblazer, Feb 19, 2005.

1. BamBamblazer

BamBamblazer 1/2 ton status

I just bought a dana 60 with cross over and highsteer arms already on it!!:thumb: The arms alow for the tierod to be in front or behind the axle. The guy told me that the arms will take out the shocks at full lock turn if the shocks are mounted in stock location. So if this is the case what is everyone doing to remody this??? I REALLLLLY want it above and behind, but im not gunna loose shokes to do it.

2. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

you dont have to lose them just relocat to a spot where they are out of the way.

i think the ord rig is above and behind could look for pics there.

what did you pay for your axle with these nice goodies?

3. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

where are the arms from, WFO ? they stuck out in my mind for having the tierod behind the axle.

4. owen

owen 1/2 ton status

I just got a WFO set. They suggested to throw a set of superduty mounts on it. Most people going with hi-steer are also in need of longer travel anyway. Do a search for the part number and it will show you tons of stuff.

5. BamBamblazer

BamBamblazer 1/2 ton status

I dont feel i got hurt on the deal, I gave $1100 for the 60 with the highsteer/crossover arms and a 14ff with disk brakes and a lincoln locker. By the way all the brake ( calipers, rotors,pads and lines) are new on both axles. The guy i got them from just built the axles in dec., drove it 10 miles to the wheelin spot new years day then ten miles home, plus the wheelin he did that day and that is all the use the brakes and arms have on them.:thumb:

6. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I have the WFO arms mounted in my rig. I have the drag link attached to them, but not my tie rod (yet). There are two problems with the tie rod being back there, neither of which are a big deal.

First, as you mentioned the shocks are in the way if mounted in the factory position. My shocks are mounted with the F250 towers on top, but the lower mount is still the stock D60 one. I thought it would clear... and later I got to witness what happens when a steering arm pushed by a hydralic ram wrestles with a shock body. lol!!! anyway, the shock got a good dent in it. I have looked at my frame and my axle and the arms several times and I don't think F-250 towers are the answer here. Those shock towers are most easily mounted to the frame leaning back towards the firewall. The shock needs to be more straight up and down over the axle where all the brake junk etc attaches to the frame. IMO, the easiest way to relocate the shocks would be with some tube shock towers. I have a set from BTF and some BBCS-15 shocks to go with them. As soon as I do my spring swap Im gonna slap em on. That brings me to the other issue with the tie rod relocation...

I have 1" zero rates and rancho 4" springs. At the moment, there isn't enough clearance over the springs to run a tierod behind/above the axle. It might juuuust barely clear, but once the suspension starts trying to move, its not going to work and the tie rod is going to be a bump stop. ;) Anyway, if you are running zero rates or thick (more than 6 leaves) spring packs you could have a clearance problem. Personally, I am swapping in rear 52" springs into mine and getting rid of the zero rate, that should gimme enough room for the tie rod even during flex.

only other real issue I can think of is mounting steering stabilizers or hydro rams. There isn't really an easy weld-on-a-couple-of-tabs-and-go solution here that I can see. Some sort of truss-looking member is going to have to be welded to the D60 housing for one end of the ram to attach to. I run a WTO redneck ram myself, and right now its attached to the stock D60 steering stabilizer mount so I'm gonna have to fab up something for this too. Something to think about.

all of that said, none of these issues are insurmountable, or even excessively expensive to solve. I think the trouble will be well worth it to have the tie rod out of the way and relatively safe behind/above the diff.

j

7. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

I run it above and behind the axle, and so does my buddy on his first gen. He has relocated shocks, and runs 6" skyjacker springs w/ a leaf removed and has no clearance issues. I would run shocks, but I ordered them a month ago from PORC and still haven't got them yet. I am going to relocate them w/ my F250 towers, and to get tierod/spring clearance I had to loose my zerorate and change some leafs in my 52's to make it work.

We also both run rams, I have a bracket built off of my axle for the ram and he has a custom spring plate w/ the ram mounted on there. Both seem to work fine.

I haven't gotten to wheel mine yet after all these mods because I just got it put together last weekend, then blew the motor up... w/o ever taking it out of the shop...:crazy: