Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

D60 with 8 degree Offsets / What did you do?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 45acp, Feb 10, 2003.

1. 45acp

45acp 1/2 ton status

I have a Ford D60 in my Jimmy so I don't have this problem but fellow CK5er bought Offsets for his GM D60 and then asked this question. When his axle is rotated 8 degrees the 2 bolts that screw into the axle housing for the spring clamp bolts will not set level with the top clamp plate. The bottom of the bolt head will be on a angle of 8 degrees with the top plate.

My suggestion was to buy special wasers from McMaster-Carr. I looked these up and they are Spherical Steel Washers, one is concave and the other is convex. They mate together and can rotate for the proper angle. I don't know what size the GM bolts are but Ford is .625 diameter. I'll give 2 sizes from McMaster-Carr as follows.
    .625 = P/N 91944A480 and cost 12.14 each pair/set
    .750 = P/N 91944A490 and cost 16.31 each pair/set
    McMaster-Carr phone number is 1-562-692-5911 or
    www.mcmaster.com

How have you solved this problem with your GM D60 axles? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I'd imagine the top spring plate holes would need to be slightly hogged too. Combine that with tapered washers and you should be good to go.

Rene

3. BOWTIE

BOWTIE 1/2 ton status

8 degrees

isn't that a bit much for a front axle??

4. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Yep.
    And yer making your steering caster angle 8* more negative. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

5. blk87K5

blk87K5 1/2 ton status

After rotating a housing, I would suggest plug welding the holes, then drilling/tapping new ones. Make a new spring plate with the holes drilled at the proper angle.

6. stumpjumper

stumpjumper Registered Member

i have a 12 degree shim on mine and what i done was screw in some allthread and heated them up a bit and bent them back to a strait shot and the plate went right down over them , i have been running like this for a long time now and so far i have had no problems but he will need to grind the knuckles loose and rotate them back or it will a chore to drive down the road , i tried to see how bad it really affected the steering and it was so bad i couldnt hardly keep it inbetween the ditches but i am running 12 degrees instead of 8 but im sure 8 will be noticeable also