Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

D60 with hy-steer and hyd assist--how hard would it be??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by yeild2me, Dec 31, 2002.

1. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

I am about to order all the parts to get the steering worked on my new 60, and have came to a point where I need to either do x-over with hyd assist or hy-steer. I would rather have hy-steer, but I for sure need the hyd assist because my 60 has a detroit. Has anybody done hy-steer with hyd assist?? if so, post or send some pics of the brackets for the ram.

any input much appreciated!!

Happy new year....rob

2. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

Umm, the fearless leaders (Steve) K5 UAV has high steer and WTO steering. I think his tie rods are a little flexable though /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

You ever gonna post some pics of video from Dixie (well more than you got already /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif) Did the video turn out cool???

Depdog

3. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I thought his problem was that he was using DLEs, not TREs.
    -- Mike

4. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Yeah, I think he's got it fixed now. Somehwere he has posted a pic of his setup.

5. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

i ordered my hy steer arms from roggy enterprises so as soon as they show up then i will try to mount the hydro ram with it...to me it looks like it would be easier to do if its on top..but i guess ill find out soon enough

6. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

Thanks guys, I will look for those pics.

Glen-For some reason I didnt get very many good pics. The video is pretty good. I cut out alot of the BS so its mostly action. I will be making a few more copies and sending them out. PM me your address.

Rob

7. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Just a few things that I have either learned or discovered, bent or broken during this project.

1. No matter what arms you go with make sure they account for the king pin axis inclination angle.
    2. I would stay away from links (tie rod and drag link) that use the weld in style tube adapters, these will allow a little flex from the tie rod end due to the thread portion only being 1" while the rest of the TRE is allowed to float inside the tube. The tap style links are much stronger IMHO and contact the entire thread portion of the TRE.
    3. I would not use Drag link ends on the tierod, they have a longer non threaded portion that is not as strong as a Tie rod end that has the thread right up to the body of the end. The reason some use DLE's on the draglink is they will allow for more angularity which will cut down on binding while the suspension is at max flex, don't need to use them on a tie rod because the tie rod is at the same plane as the axle, oh yeah, and they will bend. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    4. When you mount the ram, be sure to try and mount it as close to the same plane as the tie rod, this will allow the ram to operate in the most efficient manner with the least amount of bind.
    5. Make sure you have enough clearance between the tie rod and the piman arm, also if your axle is in the stock location you will have to modify or build a new engine crossmember if you want to use a straight draglink.

Disclaimer: I am just a stupid webmaster so the above information could be completely wrong and could cause you to loose control of your vehicle and die. Please consult a competent engineer before beginning this project.

[​IMG]

8. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    the above information could be completely wrong and could cause you to loose control of your vehicle and die.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the most honest (and SCARY!) disclaimer I've ever seen!!!

9. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

hydro assisted steering rules... but Im not so sure hi-steer is worth the price. The tie rod on my D60 is already at the same level as the axle tubes... so why pay all the $ for histeer? Others may disagree but I think the $ could be better spent elsewhere. I say get a rockstomper rock rod, WTO hydro, and go go go! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

j

10. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Non-hydro-assist high steer would be fine, but I would be afraid of breaking knuckles by putting a ram on highsteer arms. There really isn't a whole lot of beef on the top of a D60 knuckle where the arms bolt on... /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif </font color>

11. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

figure if you break the knuckles you can always call up Rockequipment.com and get some beefy ones check em out...they are bad ass...i have seen em on a few comp rigs too

12. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

Thanks alot guys.....my mind is made up....

Rockstomber rock rod, low steer, rockstomper curved drag link, wto hydro assist prolly mounted at steering stabilizer location.

thanks rob