Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

D60 with rear disc brakes

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by JWSLightning, Jul 10, 2002.

1. JWSLightning

JWSLightning Newbie

I'm running a dana 60 rear with disc brakes ordered from Dynatrac. All I have done is install the axle and hook up the brakes. The pedal feels soft and brake seems to be less effective than it should be. My idea is that the proportioning valve is to blame for this however I realizedd the problem could be more complicated than that. Does anyone know what needs to be done to correct this problem?

2. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color="blue">Are you sure all the air is out? Rear disks can be difficult to bleed and may require power bleeding. What calipers does the Dynatrac kit use? Although rear disks stop better, the pistons in the calipers displace much more fluid than the wheel cylinders so they require more fluid.

3. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

What biggray said...

Take it to a reputable brake shop and have them power bleed the system. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

4. 1 FN HI K5

1 FN HI K5 1/2 ton status

I put rear disc on my dana 60 little over a year ago had to take it to a shop for power bleeding. Did you up grade you master cylinder? you must get one for 4 wheel disc brakes. I got a new one off a corvette.
    <font color="red">1 FN HI K5 </font color>

5. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I`m running a D60 and 14bff w/disk brakes, I`m using my stock master cylinder, every thing works great. It sounds like the brakes need to be bled again. I`d try cracking all the bleeders and gravity bleed them first, then have someone jump in the truck and help you bleed them.

6. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Like JK5, I think your system needs more bleeding. I'm also running a D60 and rear disc 14 bolt. I am using a 74 K20 master cylinder but I do still have the original proportioning valve and I've had no problems (I've had the rear disc set up for about 14 years).

7. JWSLightning

JWSLightning Newbie

Dynatrac uses the caddie eldorado calipers-so they told me. Thanks for everyones help it looks like I'm getting the system power bled and seeing where to go from there,