Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

D60 won't unlock

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 73k10sub, Aug 24, 2004.

1. 73k10sub

73k10sub 1/2 ton status

D60 won\'t unlock

A Detroit was installed in my D60 a couple of weeks ago. I wheeled it a week ago at Disney, OK. One hub was a little stiff to unlock and the 205 was its usual bitchy self to get back into 2Hi. I drove it home and did not hear any unusual noises. Crawled under it to check some bolts on the front shaft and found it wouldn't turn.
    I've pulled both sides and found no broken parts in the hubs. I put in back together and can turn a wheel with one or the other side jacked up and the shaft turns and a clacking noise comes from the pumpkin.
    Anybody?

Ronnie /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

2. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Re: D60 won\'t unlock

That clicking noise is the locker. It is normal to a point. The locker should kick in if you quickly change directions when spinning by hand. Having a locker in the front makes things a little difrerent when unlocking. A 205 can be bound up easeir and the hubs can also become bound up now. I try to get the t-case in 2WD first then roll a few feet (let the front end un bind) and unlock the hubs.

hope this helps

3. 73k10sub

73k10sub 1/2 ton status

Re: D60 won\'t unlock

I've had the rig parked since your post due to other things going on.
    A couple of days ago I pulled the hubs and took them to Harmon's 4 X 4 here in Tulsa. One of their guys pointed out the error of my ways! I had taken the screw out of the selector switch on the end of the hub and this allowed the outer hub locking assembly to come apart. I had failed to get all the parts reassembled. This was a "newbie" mistake on my part and a NO-NO per my GM shop manual (can you say read more carefully?).
    The guy explained how to get this all back together properly and I promptly went home and followed his instructions. I have not wheeled the pickup yet, but the hubs do lock and unlock as it sits in the driveway.
    I hope this is a helpful hint to others regarding disassembly, or not, of this part of your manual hub.

Ronnie /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif