Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

D60R FF question

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jms, Mar 1, 2004.

1. jms

jms 1/2 ton status Author

This may be a stupid question, but I hope someone can educate me on this:
    I have a D60 FF rear out of a '70 3/4 ton Chevy P/U in my '85 K5; Moser 30 spline axles, ARB, disk brakes. Went in to change something in the e-brake setup on Sunday, and as I take off the hubs (I needed to get to the bolts that hold the caliper bracket on), I notice that the spindle area is almost dry, and the wheel bearings have no grease in them (they were serviced last October, and I haven't driven much since then). The bearings were a bit lubricated with what smelled like gear oil. Maybe I'm not getting this full floater thing - my question is this: are the outers supposed to run in oil, or bearing grease?

The seal at the hub was replaced in October, looked good to me when I inspected it on Sunday. No idea where the grease went, no obvious drips/leaks at the hubs, no oil/grease on the brake disks. I have an aftermarket cover on the diff, with a higher-than-stock fill plug. When I first filled the diff up to the new level, the gear oil came out at the pinion seal, so my mechanic suggested I stay with a lower stock level. Breather tube is on the driver's side axle tube, and it is not plugged. Is the gear oil supposed to be in the axletubes? Sounds all confusing, I know, but maybe I'm dealing with more than one problem here. Hope someone can clear this up for me, any info is appreciated, thanks, michael.

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Well on my D60R SF the gear oil does go to the outer bearings via the axel tubes. But I have a SF. Post up in hte garage if you don't get an answer here /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. jms

Thanks. I thought I post here with you '69-'72 experts. Right now I packed the bearings with grease, figuring that too much lubrication is better than too little....

4. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

With a FF rear axle the bearings are lubricated with gear oil. I normally litely pack them with grease before I put them back in so they will be lubricated while the gear oil is getting to them. If when you poped them off no oil came out you have problems.

5. jms

Thanks for the info. I think I may have just gotten to it in time, the bearings had a light film of gear oil, no sign of damage that I could tell, no scrapes, no wacko sounds when I spun the wheel. I'll add gear oil first thing in the morning. Thanks, michael.

6. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

The gear oil does lubricate the wheel bearings.

Usually grease is used to "pre-lube" the bearings so they don't burnt up before the oil has a chance to splash its way down the axle tube. Best to use a grease that will dissolve in gear oil - don't use white grease!

If you don't pre-grease, or simply forgot, (or run synthetic gear oil) you can jack up each side of the truck (one side at a time) to let the gear oil flow out to the hubs.

7. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

U2slow is right on here! Every time I do bearing work, change the differential oil, whatever, alway's refill the pumpkin, then jack up either side of the vehicle, and let it sit for 10-15 minute's, then let it down and jack up the other side for 10-15, just to make sure oil reache's both hub's, then let the rig down and refill the pumpkin again./forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

8. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Well on my D60R SF the gear oil does go to the outer bearings via the axel tubes. But I have a SF. Post up in hte garage if you don't get an answer here /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

how/where did you find a SF dana 60 rear ??

interesting

9. jasonkh2tg

jasonkh2tg 1/2 ton status

Not to change the subjuct from dana to gm, So on a gm 12 bolt truck rear SF the gear oil lubes the wheel bearings. right?

10. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Well when I blew up my newly rebuilt 12 bolt(another story)(before I was on the internet)Maby 7yrs ago or so. I was buying and getting most my info from a local 4x4 shop. They had this BIG long bed pickup with purple flames and all..well that truck rolled in with a D60front and rear. The shop was putting in custom built axels front and rear.I didn't know 1/4 then what I know now about axles all I remember is they were huge and looked like the 44"ers wouldn't have a chance to bustum up...anyway...beer thirty...ok so the D60 rear was perfict cuz I got it fer 300 and it came with MarkWilliams 1.5" high torque axels,BIG, I bought the power-lock and they stuffed it under my K5 in place of my Twisted 12 bolt they just rebuilt a few months ago..I'm pretty sure it was a mid-late 70s model. Were it came from before that???
    I have sence then upgraded the spring perches and got rid of my lift blocks oh and relocated the shock mounts up nice and high /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif
    We will see if my new BBC can bust it /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif
    Oh it's 6 lug too /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

11. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

When I twisted my 12bolt I got a masive crack were the axel tube enters the pumkin cast. It didn't leak at first but after 6hrs in front wheel drive going 35-40 down the freeway. The crack let gear oil out. I'm pretty sure the 12er is the same, atleast I doin't recal ever packing them the 5yrs I ran that axel(my memory ain't so good any more). /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

12. jasonkh2tg

jasonkh2tg 1/2 ton status

Yea I run a gm 12 bolt rear 4.56 with a locker...When I did the build I never packed the wheel bearing with any grease...I have never had a problem....If you look closely at most SF the fill plug is higher then the axle tube allowing the gear oil to proceed down the tube to lube the wheel bearings...Oh also there are no internal seals on a gm 12 bolt just the outers by the wheel...